Fuel System Fittings >

Fuel System Fittings

Notices

Fuel System Fittings

Old 09-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i dont know what engine you have in the boat but i do know that the holley blue pumps are junk.id think about switching to aeromotive when the holley craps out and it will be soon.
I think he would be better off switching it now rather than having to get towed in. Minus well get rid of the junk holley regulator also.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ealesh33
What are you guys using on the 3/8 fittings to seal the threads in the fuel system?

I bought the new boat about a month ago and it had the holley red pump, the fuel pressure wasn't high enough, and the red pump wasn't sufficient enough on flow. So I got a whole new system with the Holley blue pump and regulator. Installed the system using all -8 AN lines and fittings, and -8 AN to 3/8 for the pump, regulator, and filter. Well my 3/8 are leaking a little at the regulator in and out. I used liquid thread sealant, and you can see little flakes of it like the fuel is eating it. A buddy of mine did both his motors about 2 months ago, and he said it leaked everywhere that liquid thread sealant was used. It works great for water fittings, and oil fittings but seems like it can't stand up to fuel. So my question is what are you guys using to keep these sealed up from leaking? Thanks for the help in advance
You can use liquid Teflon but you have to get the good stuff it's $20 for a tiny tube. I use yellow gas line Teflon tape.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
You can use liquid Teflon but you have to get the good stuff it's $20 for a tiny tube. I use yellow gas line Teflon tape.
Lol, that stuff cracks me up. I work for a pretty big gas company and we use the white stuff.

I also use it on my fuel fittings.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I think he would be better off switching it now rather than having to get towed in. Minus well get rid of the junk holley regulator also.
The red pump that was on the boat was on there for 2 seasons and ran the exact same the day I took it off as the day it was put on. I just put the blue pump on last week, and I know several people running this exact same set up with great success. I am not saying parts don't fail as I know people have had them fail on them, nor am I saying the blue pump is the best thing out there, but its not going anywhere for now. I know a guy that has an aeromotive which has been in the boat for just this season, and looks like its been sitting at the bottom of a swamp for 20 years. No part is perfect
Old 09-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a completely stock 525sc
Why would you use an electric pump on a completely stock 525sc mercury engine?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Registered

It had an electric pump on it when I bought the boat. I am sure they went with an electric set up instead of buying a new sea water pump or rebuilding it. Its a guess, as that is what alot of people do when the seals blow out of the sea water pump.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Registered

I had a similar issue with the NPT ports on a Mallory Marine EFI fuel pump. Hylomar finally stopped the leaks, the only drawback is the price.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

It had an electric pump on it when I bought the boat. I am sure they went with an electric set up instead of buying a new sea water pump or rebuilding it. Its a guess, as that is what alot of people do when the seals blow out of the sea water pump.
I never understood that. Some guys have a proven setup that hundreds or thousands of others are running with no issues, on an expensive engine like the 525sc was in its day, but wanna install the autozone high performance special fuel pump. Theres tens of thousands of mercury engines out there running the sea pump/fuel pump deal since about 1991.

Maybe thats why in the past month we've had about 30 threads with "fuel supply issues" and 29 of them start with " i installed some aftermarket electric fuel pumps".

No way in the world would I ditch the mechanical merc pump in favor of a holley electric, on a 525sc engine.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I never understood that. Some guys have a proven setup that hundreds or thousands of others are running with no issues, on an expensive engine like the 525sc was in its day, but wanna install the autozone high performance special fuel pump. Theres tens of thousands of mercury engines out there running the sea pump/fuel pump deal since about 1991.

Maybe thats why in the past month we've had about 30 threads with "fuel supply issues" and 29 of them start with " i installed some aftermarket electric fuel pumps".

No way in the world would I ditch the mechanical merc pump in favor of a holley electric, on a 525sc engine.
Look man This thread has zero to do with the fuel pump I'm running, it was simply asking what thread sealant guys use on there fuel system cause my fittings in my regulator are leaking slightly(used permatex liquid thread sealant). I read a lot of your posts and consider you to be very knowledgeable, but I am not a beginner at this either, I don't know everything, I know a little about a little, and always learning. I wouldn't take a perfectly good mechanical pump off to go electric either, as the mechanical pumps are plenty sufficient. I don't know why the electric pump was put on. The fuel pressure was on the low side when I bought the boat, so I made the necessary corrections to make it right. Mechanical pumps fail too. The Holley Blue pump is equivalent to the stock merc mechanical pumps when it comes to GPH. With holding 6.5psi of pressure at WOT I am not having a fuel supply problem.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

guess he told you mild.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i recomend he buy a good tow rope,LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.