Recurring gauge problem - 525EFI

Notices

Recurring gauge problem - 525EFI

Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Recurring gauge problem - 525EFI

A few weeks ago, I replaced the long block on my port motor (525EFI). My boat has SmartCraft and analog gauges as well. When the motor went back in the boat, the gauges (water temp, oil temp, oil pressure and the tach) were not operating properly; they would show some values but they were way off. The SmartCraft was reading properly and showed the engine working properly as well; RPM, temps and pressures all right where they should be. We checked all of the grounds thinking that was it. We then swapped the harness for the analog to digital interface with the center engine and all of the gauges then worked properly, so the assumption then became that the analog/digital interface module had gone bad. I replaced that module and everything was back to working properly and I had the boat out a few times and everything seemed to be fine.

Yesterday, on the first start of the port engine, the gauges were all not working again. I cycled the key and the motor on/off a few times, still nothing. Tried swapping the harnesses again to the center engine and the gauges started working, so once again the analog / digital interface appears to be the culprit, but it's brand new... seems to me that something is taking out this module or something else is going on.

Any ideas on where else to look?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four things take out electrical items:

1. Low voltage
2. High voltage
3. Amperage
4. Inadequate ground

An inadequate ground will cause a high amp condition, so these two work hand in hand. See what the manufacturer recommends that the amperage is for the interface module. Put that sized fuse on the power side of the module. Then work from there.

Hope this helps
Old 10-07-2014, 10:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

What did you find on this? I have an oil pressure gauge that works perfect at startup then slowly goes to zero, gauge replaced and same thing happening. Oil pressure is good have run it for hours this way. Sometimes my Tach goes haywire too zeroing out and flipping around then works fine.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
What did you find on this? I have an oil pressure gauge that works perfect at startup then slowly goes to zero, gauge replaced and same thing happening. Oil pressure is good have run it for hours this way. Sometimes my Tach goes haywire too zeroing out and flipping around then works fine.
Tried like crazy to find a loose ground and couldn't. It turns out that the first analog/digital interface module that I used was not the correct module for the 525 so it's possible that was the problem although it did work fine for a few weeks. I replaced that module with the right one for the 525 and thats been working properly the last two weeks. Unfortunately, season is over for me at this point, so I won't know for sure if its fixed until next year unless of course, it quits on me during my winterizing.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thank you for the response. I will double check for loose ground but in my head it's either the wire harness you replaced or a sensor.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Thank you for the response. I will double check for loose ground but in my head it's either the wire harness you replaced or a sensor.

Not likely to be a sensor if you're having trouble with the tach and the oil pressure gauge. More likely to be a ground or the interface. If you have SmartCraft, there should be one analog/digital interface for each engine. It's easy enough to swap them to see if the problem travels. You just unplug and plug it into the other one. If the problem goes away, the interface module is likely the culprit.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

both those wires run thru your main engine harness,,,pull apart and clean...maybe spread pins for a tighter fit,,,vooooodo rob
Old 10-08-2014, 11:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
both those wires run thru your main engine harness,,,pull apart and clean...maybe spread pins for a tighter fit,,,vooooodo rob
Thank you I will give that a try before throwing parts at it.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:48 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Reviving this thread. I replaced the AGI box on my port motor at the end of last season and all has been working fine until yesterday. Ran the boat all weekend and no sign of any trouble. Yesterday, start the port engine and the tach, oil pressure, oil temp and water temp gauges are not working; all of those are controlled by the AGI box. Smartcraft shows everything on the engine working normally. Get back to the dock, swap the AGI from the center engine and problem travels so again, so I know the AGI box has failed. This is now the second one now to go on that engine. It worked fine on Sunday, boat was put away and then yesterday just didn't work. Batteries are shut off when the boat is put away, so just don't know how something like that fails when nothing is being used. Any more ideas ?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Where are the AGI boxes? Can they be anywhere in the boat, behind the gauges, or on the engine? Any pics? Im still having the issue with my oil pressure gauge. Gauge reads low, then trails off to zero. I replaced the gauge and all wiring in the gauge cluster. Its crazy that you have had this happen twice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.