Who makes the Black Thunder? >

Who makes the Black Thunder?

Notices

Who makes the Black Thunder?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the Black Thunder?

I have noticed a Black Thunder XL 320 Limited Edition with twin 454's in pretty rough shape sitting near where I live. No other names are on the boat and I have been told it is a Scarab 31. I cant find the owner but before I go much further I thought I would ask around to see what the boat is and If I am interested in pursuing it for purchase.

thank you!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

uhmm maybe black thunder?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
uhmm maybe black thunder?
Must not be a popular manufacturer. I grew up in Toledo and spent many days and nights on the Maumee river to the Lake Erie islands and I have never heard of this manufacturer. It looks to be a well built boat but has obviously been neglected. Both engine blocks are split open and the cock pit interior is shot. The gel coat needs some work as well. By the HIN it's a 1994. Thanks for the reply, I will check out Black Thunder Boats and see if I can buy a winter project.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Is it in Toledo? THe bigger BT's are flying condos. If its in Toledo, there are a few of us around that can look at it with you, to keep things realistic and keep you from getting bent....

Last edited by phragle; 09-29-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The 32 BT's have a goofy cockpit layout.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
The 32 BT's have a goofy cockpit layout.
Goofy performance wise, but tons of room pleasure wise.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Black Thunder Boats were built in Hannibal Mo., I don't know if they are still in business, they built a 43 and a 46 ft. that are beautiful boats
Old 10-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Registered

Default What to do, what to do...

Originally Posted by phragle
Is it in Toledo? THe bigger BT's are flying condos. If its in Toledo, there are a few of us around that can look at it with you, to keep things realistic and keep you from getting bent....
No. I live east of Cincinnati now. After researching the boat and looking at it with the owner I have found that it was somewhat capsized in a storm in MO. The engine compartment was under water and it was kind of leaning on its right side with the nose up in the air like a bobber. Apparently the engines filled with water and it has been drained. The boat has not been used since then 7 years ago. The owner said he has not cleaned it up since they recovered it and towed it back to Ohio. When I looked at the boat I just saw an old boat that sat outside and weathered. It's all there. The gauges and seating is in pretty good shape. The cabin space is in really good shape and the only interior it needs work on is the sun deck/ engine cover and rear bench seat. Obviously I would be most concerned about the cost of rebuilding or replacing the engines and out drives. I think the out drives stand a chance tho because they are all there and move freely. There is oil in the reservoirs as well. He was asking 6k but by the time we had finished talking he would accept 3500 as is no trailer. Wow it's a project but the boat looks cool. I have some pics I can try to post. I wish it was in Toledo because I could really use some advise on this one. I hate to let what could be an awesome boat when finished like this could be get away. I could make this boat a real head turner on the outside. I just don't know about the structure and the power. Any suggestions?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I would take someone who knows about boats to go look at it, if the hull is dry I would think its worth the money, all the rest is gravy, but then again I don't know your skills to get it completed, if you have to rely on others to do all the work you could be upside down in no time, good luck sounds like a cool project, a trailer in decent shape will be as much as the boat or a little more, post some pics, the key to success is in the motors.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
I would take someone who knows about boats to go look at it, if the hull is dry I would think its worth the money, all the rest is gravy, but then again I don't know your skills to get it completed, if you have to rely on others to do all the work you could be upside down in no time, good luck sounds like a cool project, a trailer in decent shape will be as much as the boat or a little more, post some pics, the key to success is in the motors.
Well I don't know much about posting to this site but I'm going to try to post the pics. As far as restoring the boat goes, I would do all but the interior myself. I have been around and owned boats most of my life. I am a 30+. Year automotive painter and collision tech and i have since moved on to corporate collision center management but I have restored automotive of all kinds and boats to a limit to gel coat repair, floors, stringers and transom replacement. I have done my share of engine rebuilding over the years but its been mostly replace long blocks and swap parts. I have no doubt I can do most everything myself but two 454 long blocks is over 3 grand plus gaskets and other incidentals. The trailer I found is $2500 and needs all the brakes and bunk boards replaced. Plus paint plus wheels and tires for all three axles. With the cost of the boat I just don't know if a 1991 boat would be worth all the cost and work. I would appreciate some assistance in posting pics if anyone knows. I really want you guys to see this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.