Another Engine Dynoed today. >

Another Engine Dynoed today.

Notices

Another Engine Dynoed today.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyrider
Thats just my mindset, thanks for the insight and it's just the kind of info I'm looking for.
I was going to start a thread here soon and l saw a tidbit of this when I found the intake thread after you mentioned the build.

I wasn't attempting to railroad the discussion here, just get a link.
I'll search harder at a pc later rather than jack with this cellphone watching football.

BTW, way to go on those mills for all of y'all, awesome returns indeed.

See ya
Kelly
Kelly, what kind of power are you looking to make? You might be able to achieve your goals normally aspirated, and put the money for the blowers towards your heads and a set of O2 widebands. My build admittedly had some compromises - although my cam was originally ground by Bob M., I bought it from another OSO'er who had it designed for his application. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone from the ground up and had Bob design a cam for my specific application. I kind of backed into my build. I started out with the same cast iron heads you have, but when I realized how much I would have invested in them to make them right (bowl blending, inconel valves, good springs & keepers, guides, etc.), it was a no-brainer to spend a few hundred more and get a set of AFR's with their superior flow. Bob suggested going with a set of the 265 oval's, and they worked great on this build. Dyno run produced 585 HP @ 5400 RPM, broad. flat torque curve over 605 ft/lb almost the whole way. I left some power on the table with a very mild cam grind and a too-small Holley 800 carb. Bob said that those heads are capable of supporting 625 HP with the right cam and induction.

You have a great starting point with solid reciprocating assemblies. Talk to Bob about a good head/cam/induction combo to go with it, and I think you will be very happy with it. I think a set of AFR 265's, 290's or even 305's would work really well on a 489 with the right cam. Pick out the right parts for your valvetrain to go with it - Morel lifters, Scorpion rockers, and Manton .120 pushrods did the trick for me. Good luck with your build, and feel free to lean on the folks on the board for advice on putting it together! (Just don't drive everyone crazy like I did! )
Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than take this off the main topic I'll be starting a new thread here shortly.
Thanks for everything guys, the availabilty of quality knowledge from hands on experience of what works in the real world is why I love thia site.
See ya,
Kelly
Old 10-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Yes sir. Mike is a definite asset for our little group of friends down here. Not only does he assemble a great engine, he keeps an open mind and always willing to try new things. The machine shop we work with down here is also great. They have top notch equipment in house, and a great crew, down to the dyno operator who is simply a pleasure to work with.

These kind of builds make it fun for guys like me. I get to be surrounded by guys like Mike, Bob M, the guys down at the machine shop, and get to learn some great stuff. I mean sure its great to drop an engine off at a builder and let him handle everything, but we are just gear heads who like being hands on and involved with the build. Abones wish you didnt live so far cuz youd fit right in with our group, and be a great guy to have around ! We definitely have a few laughs in the process too.
Wish I could make it down there one day! I think it would been great. Thanks !!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Registered

Awesome thread, it's what used to be so great about OSO.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarrab30
Awesome thread, it's what used to be so great about OSO.
It's still awesome on many threads such as this one staying on topic and not a bunch of wack-a-mole bashing LOL!!!

See ya,
Kelly
Old 08-21-2015, 06:11 AM
Registered

The question is, was it really working as it should.

I may start another thread on this timing topic. I really dont want to derail this thread into a timing debate. Lots of good stuff about this build in other areas

I will say this though, this is definitely not the first marine blower setup this group of fuktards has done. Ive got a pair of 800hp blown 468s i been beating on for a long time, icdedppl has twin 900hp 540s, mike tkach had 950hp 540s on his cat he built that never skipped a beat, and now 1200hp whippled 588's. Not to mention mike and the race shop where we dyno have belted out quite a few over the years too. But i am all for learning new tricks. Just because my engines havent blown up, doesnt mean i still cant improve them or factor in some safety to them.

The purpose of this thread was to give a result of a parts combination that worked well. Slap some edelbrock heads on this build, a shelf comp hyd roller, a pair of molested 750 carbs, and it would have struggled to make 750hp.

Im gonna start another thread regarding a programmable timing control and knock systems for engines like this. Id like to talk about the benefits of something like the daytona sensor ignition , etc. Im considering getting into that part of playing with these builds. Andy motorman id love to hear your input when i do. You are a sharp dude !
Originally Posted by mike tkach
i will also add to this by saying that they have a rottler cnc machining center and 2 neuan head machines along with all the other automotive machine shop equipment necessary to do top notch machine work.ken [the owner]and his crew are the best in the business and i would never even think of useing another shop.they make my assembly job easy.
Oh it could have worked. But our buddy was not willing to reduce the boost level, to a reasonable PSI, for it to live. This was a carbed M4 application, that did make well over 1000HP on the dyno.

However, in the boat, it was less than stellar. Belt issues, bracket flex, blower getting so got you could fry eggs on it, lack of low end power getting on plane with a 42ft boat, and overall, it just wasnt a good combination as far as the static compression/cam combo he had. It was more suited to a roots than a centrifugal.

There is no doubt the prochargers work great when bolted on a stock EFI merc, running low boost. But imo, once you start getting up there with power levels, the whole thing takes a turn, and really needs to be thought out. And EFI is for sure the way to go there.
MIld Thunder. I tried to PM you but box is full. I have some questions on this PC build that you said would have worked if things where changed in the combo.