Power steering fluid tempature.

Notices

Power steering fluid tempature.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Im with Griff on this one

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ng-cooler.html

Just because Mercury wants to sell more parts don`t mean I`m on board.. one less thing to leak and give me problems.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i dont think mercury installs the ps coolers so they can sell more parts.if it cost them 100 dollars to put it on and they sell 1000 units they spent one hundred thousand dollars.from a finantial standpoint no bean counter in the world would spend one hundred thousand dollars on a unnecessary component.in all the years i have been working on boats i have never replaced a ps cooler so i dont think it is a part that needs to be replaced on a regular basis.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Worst case situation is a high speed single, high propshaft location, it will run higher constant pressure at speed to hold the drive against the prop creating more heat. The cooler has to be sized to accomodate this situation.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i dont think mercury installs the ps coolers so they can sell more parts.if it cost them 100 dollars to put it on and they sell 1000 units they spent one hundred thousand dollars.from a finantial standpoint no bean counter in the world would spend one hundred thousand dollars on a unnecessary component.in all the years i have been working on boats i have never replaced a ps cooler so i dont think it is a part that needs to be replaced on a regular basis.
Its way deeper than that its not that black & white. Liability, then fatigue/durability come into play.

Remember when your Dad or Grandfather bought a drill (they were corded drills back then) but I will bet you either you or they still have them. Things arent produced that way anymore. They have a lifespan for the intended price range. More than likely that plays a factor here with the liability of the steering system and the durability. Since they never know where some engines are going, they have to be outfitted for the outer reaches of the envelope.

Last edited by Keith Atlanta; 10-11-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

From latham steerings site

OIL COOLERS*are required in all steering systems with engine driven power steering pumps. Our standard coolers have 1" NPT water and 3/8" NPT female oil connections with a 2" x 9" tube bundle. Our high flow coolers have 2" NPT water and 1/2" NPT female oil connections with a 3" x 6" tube bundle. The tubes are made with cupro nickel.

I did run my steering last year with the cooler bypassed cause it leaked, with no issues. I do know my ford diesel pickup had a power steering cooler. I believe my mack semi has one as well. I have a 2x9 cooler in my boat, which has latham steering.

It would be cool to see what the actual steering fluid temps are though.