Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
sonic prowler 496HO PCM PROBELM?? >

sonic prowler 496HO PCM PROBELM??

Notices

sonic prowler 496HO PCM PROBELM??

Old 10-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sonic prowler 496HO PCM PROBELM??

I have a 04 sonic prowler with the 496 HO I have been experiencing the batteries draining over night and now the last time it was taken out it ran fine for about 25 mins then the rpms dropped back toaround 4500 and at idle it would almost cut off then come back like the key was turned off and back on really quick. Has anyone experienced this problem or know what to do. I am thinking it is a PCM problem but wanted to know if there was any testing to make sure before buying one.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

are you turning off the perko switch to isolate the batteries, Im assuming you have one
Old 10-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Is it beeping?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Registered

If you have a bad plug wire that arcs spark to the block before the plug it affects the pcm running the motor.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Registered

the only way the batteries will not draw is if i turn them off through the switch. it did start beeping a couple times a minute and when its cuts out and comes back it beeps like it does when you turn the key on.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You need to have it scanned. If you plan on keeping the boat for a while, buy your own Rinda scanner. Do a search here on OSO on "Rinda" and you will find details. It's the best money you will spend on that boat, longterm.

It's likely a bad IAC, very common on these motors, but can't be certain without a scan.

Always turn your battery switch off. It's not like a car with a frame, and an elaborate ground system. Anything could be drawing the battery down; but it's likely your depth finder and stereo, in that order.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-10-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Registered

yes i was looking into purchasing the software as i have already had to have a friend scan it for me and i usually make a habbit of turning the batteries off but if i do forget they will be dead in 4-5 hours so it is relatively quick
Old 10-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

how old are the batteries, sounds like one or both may have issues, and if the charging system cant keep up with current draw your ecm may be warning of low voltage, JMO
Old 10-10-2014, 06:14 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

What I want to know is have you been switching the perko to battery 1 to battery 2 or to battery all when the boat is running ? If so never ever do this.

Next load test your batteries - and a good battery is 12.7 volts not 12 volts. Once they drain completely dead over time, it really weakens the cells in them internally. Very hard to have solid battery voltage after that takes place so many times. What is your battery voltage when the engine is running ?

Also check for all connections to the batteries / and perko switch for tightness and no corrosion. Also check backside of engine grounds they need to be clean and tight. Also connections at the starter need to clean and tight. Then scan your motor and report what fault codes have / are showing up.

POST # 4 Jersey Outlaw is correct about the spark plug wires as if it is arcing especially at idle the engine will seem to stall and restart itself. Also bad IAC can really effect idle and off idle acceleration. IAC's have been a huge problem for Mercruiser engines over the years.

What type of warning horn / beeping do have ? Solid or 2 beeps every minute or intermittent continuous beeps. They all mean something different and can lead you to the problem area.

Last edited by BUP; 10-10-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Registered

i always turn the batteries to both when i turn them on. the batteries are about 7 years old and i wouldnt mind replacing them if the draw wasnt so quick its almost like the key has been left on. the charging system charges at around 13 at idle and around 14 when cruising. i was getting two beeps a min and if i tried running it wide open it became solid. i will be ordering the diacom software monday so i scan it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.