Found external leak on manifold - crack

Notices

Found external leak on manifold - crack

Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Found external leak on manifold - crack

Background: 1995 Fountain Fever 27 with Mercruiser HP500C
I was prepping the boat for winterization today and noticed a drip on the starboard manifold. I took a closer look and noticed a crack about 3" long, the water was coming from the bottom of the crack. I removed the manifold and found a shorter crack on the opposite side dripping water onto the head. I should have paid more attention, Idon't think the cracks happend this week. I believe they're are responsible for the small puddle of water I keep finding after the past few outings.

At least I got it now before any further damage can happen. The motor is coming out for an inspection next weekend. I'll do a leakdown, compression and visual check then begin the teardown. My plan was for new valve springs anyway. I may get really lucky and still only need new springs (and new exhaust).

My question is what to replace the manifolds with? They're the gil (mercruiser on the casting) with the gil riser. I'm leaning towards the hardin marine gil replacements. With this, I can use my risers and retain the silent choice and pretty much be plug and play.

But, like anyone else, if I can stay within 20% of the hardin price and get something much better, then I'll go that route. My only requirement is to not redo the tail pipes or y-pipe. What ever I get must be compatible with my current setup.

What say ye?

Ryan
Old 10-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

My bud runs the Hardin's and they have been trouble free . Like you said , plug and play .
Old 10-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ballistic Beak-- I had almost the same experience. During winterization noticed a VERY small puff of white smoke coming from the Starboard #1 plug area -- my heart sank. We have a stock 7.4 MPI- Captains Call/Bravo 3- 300 hours. The engine has run unbelievable. Looked at the manifold couldn't see anything- except a small drop of antifreeze in the bilge. I took the manifold off and adjacent to the "star shaped" plug it looked like a hairline crack. However, NO evidence of any cracks on the inside of the manifold nor ANY evidence of water leaking in. I ordered a new one with all gaskets etc from MarineEnginnering -- great group of people. A couple days later all was back together. I maybe preaching to the choir but make sure you torque the bolts to the specs.

All the best

3pointstar

all