Fuel stabablizer >

Fuel stabablizer

Notices

Fuel stabablizer

Old 10-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel stabablizer

I seem to be getting more water in the fuel filters this last couple of years .
Trying to find a fuel stableizer to put in the tank for the winter layup , the only one I can find is Wynns lead substitute / fuel stableizer will this be ok to use in mec 496 HO s .
Plus I have seen fuel / watersep filers with a bleed off valve at the bottom so as to drain off any water in there befor a Trip.
Are these available for the 496 HO . Thanks for any help
Old 10-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are using fuel with ethanol, which most of us are, you are better off draining the tank as much as possible. Ethanol in the fuel attracts water. The less of it you have in your tank, the better. Drain the tank as much as possible, put in stabilizer and cover your fuel tank vents to prevent moist air from entering the tanks.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
If you are using fuel with ethanol, which most of us are, you are better off draining the tank as much as possible. Ethanol in the fuel attracts water. The less of it you have in your tank, the better. Drain the tank as much as possible, put in stabilizer and cover your fuel tank vents to prevent moist air from entering the tanks.
Thanks for that imfo , that was one of the questions in ment to ask drain tank or fill to the top.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Registered

stabil makes a marine stabilizer for ethanol gas also cant get it at Walmart or advance auto parts or auto zone good luck
Old 10-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had good luck with the Star Tron stuff.

Its also a good idea to add it to the fuel before you take the boat out one last time. That was its in the gas tank as well as the fuel lines and injectors/carbs.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the Startron as well. Great stuff. Very concentrated so a 15-16oz bottle treats like 250 gallons of fuel. Opened up a quadrajet that was on a customers boat that used this stuff for a couple years and it looked perfect.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Registered

Thanks going with the startron as I can get it here in the uk .
Can any one tell me which racor fuel filter the ones with the drain valve on the base will fit my 2001 mercruiser 496 HO. Can't get a straight answer here as to what one will work ?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X3 I use that stuff in everything that sits for a while between starts.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:19 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

go figure some of these fuel treatments and fuel stabilizers are so far fetched with their claims. Did you know that some, about half on the market - the product used in the formulation is a form of alcohol. No bull, years ago we did a test report about 25 major brands on the market for marine use. One was 95 % alcohol. One was 90 % ethanol in a bottle and a lot of the rest had a form of alcohol in part of their formulation. Go figure. anyways most of the good ones will only last up to a year and that's it. I was told buy a chemist at Shell Oil that 9 months lasting period if you are very lucky. Anyways FWIW.

Last edited by BUP; 10-20-2014 at 03:29 PM.