Oil pressure safety >

Oil pressure safety

Notices

Oil pressure safety

Old 10-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure safety

I had the factory oil pressure alarm switch on a brass tee with the oil pressure sending unit for the gauge. The brass nipple to the tee broke and the engine pumped out all the oil and the alarm never went off because the oil sensor was no longer grounded. The engine threw a rod through the oil pan!! A $2 brass nipple just ruined my 598" engine
After I rebuild or replace the engine, what is the best setup to run to notify the operator of low oil pressure?
An oil pressure cutout switch wired into the ignition? Could put you in a dangerous situation if the engine all of the sudden cuts out.
The factory audible alarm but not on a tee? If it comes off the alarm never sounds because the sensor is no longer grounded
Use a pressure switch with 2 terminals to trigger an audible alarm or a light?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:46 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

A light is always good.

I've only seen your situation (oil psi guage sender breaking off the engine) when using a T. Never seen it the when just the guage sender is screwed into the block.

Are you using a mechanical fuel pump or electric ?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Registered

Mechanical fuel pump
Old 10-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

frickken same thing happened to me . on older boat way back when . just had motor dropped in from rod dash of performance marine . they clearly hit it and bent it .then it broke first ride on the motor . that was the second motor they screwed me on .and the last . thank god those clowns are long gone ,,,sorry to hear that sucks bro ...
Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Nitrous fuel pressure switches work great, run the purple wire through them. Only down side is a second longer cranking before they fire.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could use a remote oil filter head with the 1/8" port in the head for one of the senders/alarm. Eliminating the T. the sender hanging off it seems to always break over time. (also something I've broken but caught it with 5 quarts in the bilge) or possibly find a steel T fitting but still risk the chance of breaking. Mine broke off of the threads not the Body of the fitting FWIW.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Man, that sux. You can use a Hobb switch. It requires a ground wire to be hooked up (2 wire hook up). That way, it will always work, even if it does break off.

Although it has never happened to me, I was always afraid of that happening. For that reason, I never use a tee on senders. If you don't have another available threaded port, I'm sure you can drill and tap an 1/8" hole somewhere. You could maybe drill and tap the oil block adapter or the oil filter mount? You could also use an adapter fitting made for adding a sender in AN hoses if you are using them. It's a male to female adapter with an 1/8" port in it. What block are you using? What oil filter mount and block adapter?
Eddie
Old 10-20-2014, 06:16 AM
Registered

Merlin tall deck block, 625-7914 block adapter from CP, and the hp500 thermostatic oil filter housing,the oil temp sender is on the block and the pressure sender and alarm sensor were on the oil filter housing
Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is more than 1 place on any BBC to screw the senders into. Separate them. Along the oil pan rail there are 4 screw in plugs that could be used not to mention 2 places on the oil filter boss. I never use "T"'s for that exact reason. Your motor builder should have known better.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Registered

I looked at the block and there are no oil pressure ports on the pan rail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.