Innovative Wideband A/F system - cable too short >

Innovative Wideband A/F system - cable too short

Notices

Innovative Wideband A/F system - cable too short

Old 10-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Innovative Wideband A/F system - cable too short

I bought the Innovative Wideband system to dial in my jetting, but the cable from the gauge to the 02 sensor is about 6' too short for my 272. The gauge would mount nicely where my defunct depth finder is, but not as it sits. I contacted Innovative and they do not offer a longer cable. Has anyone else worked around this issue? Are there any issues with simply splicing in more wire to the o2 sensor? I'm completely ignorant on anything beyond red is for power and black is for ground regarding electrical, but I can solder and splice like a madman. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure which model of Innovate you have, but I have used the LC-1 in many automotive applications over the years. Does yours have a "black box" the the O2 sensor harness plugs into and then wires coming out the other side of the "black box" for the gauges? All the ones I have owned looked like this;

If yours is the same then I wouldn't add any length to the sensor harness on the right of the photo, but I have added length to the gauge/data wires on the left side of that pic with no negative results. Did you ask Innovate if you could do what you're thinking?
Old 10-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered

No black box as everything just goes up to the gauge which I guess is where any of the brains are. I did ask them if the sold a longer cable but I'll ask about the extending the wires. Doing so on the meter side of the cable looks impossible, but easy enough to do so on the 5 ~20g wires on the o2 sensor. I'm just curious if it would affect the voltage/resistance readings, but I should be able to reset the o2 sensor?
Old 10-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
No black box as everything just goes up to the gauge which I guess is where any of the brains are. I did ask them if the sold a longer cable but I'll ask about the extending the wires. Doing so on the meter side of the cable looks impossible, but easy enough to do so on the 5 ~20g wires on the o2 sensor. I'm just curious if it would affect the voltage/resistance readings, but I should be able to reset the o2 sensor?
My gut and experience tells me that you'd be fine in doing so, but I'd probably give Innovate a call to ask them what they think. I'd hate to advise you into doing that and be wrong. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Registered

P.S.
I just had another thought. If Innovate doesn't give you the answer you need I think I'd probably do temporary installation without lengthening the wires (maybe just have someone hold the gauge) and then go run it while recoding the data. Then add your extra wire and install where you like it and run it again. If the data stays consistent then it's safe to assume it that the extra length of wiring had no effect on the accuracy. I'm not sure how feasible that really is for you because where I live boating season is over and I didn't see a location in your profile. Just a thought.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not sell what you have and buy the MTX-L, that gauge offers an extension cable.

A variable sensor is all measured on resistance, messing that up with a home made patch cable on something so crucial is not a good idea IMO
Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They make a 20ft cable. Its about 50 bucks or so. I didn't feel like cutting up the original cable.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Registered

Ah. I do have the MTX-L, and they do have a cable for it. Apparently there are a few iterations for this. Doh.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah. I do have the MTX-L, and they do have a cable for it. Apparently there are a few iterations for this. Doh.
Mount it in the back seat, it will make the passengers feel important
Old 10-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Mount it in the back seat, it will make the passengers feel important
Bwahahaaa!

"What does it say now?"

"What does it say now?"

"What does it say now?"

"What does it say now?"

I emailed them about a cable extension and said that I shouldn't do it, but mentioned nothing about having a longer cable available. Weird. *shrug*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.