Roots Blower Sizing >

Roots Blower Sizing

Notices

Roots Blower Sizing

Old 10-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i agree,i just did a build that used a 10.71 and it suprised me,made more hp&torque than i expected.
Any more details?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Any more details?
He had a thread on it.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

All great info joe.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Nice informative thread Joe. I'd like to throw a little input in. Some guys including me don't have an open check book and have to shop for deals. If your stuck with a smaller blower that's not really the proper size for the application there is a way to make it work. Instead of running very low compression and over spinning the blower which will heat the charge and kill power. Raise the initial compression of the motor slow down the blower and keep the charge cool. In essence the outcome is the same for the most part. What is really being accomplished with the blower is adding cylinder pressure which makes more power. With higher compression in the motor you don't need as much added air from the blower as you would with lower initial compression. Hope this makes sense. Will a high compression low boost make the same power as low compression high boost? Not on pump gas. But you are better off putting more compression in the motor if you have a small blower and not spinning the heck out of it... Hope that may help some that have an empty wallet like me.
High compression/low boost will not make as much power as low compression/high boost without insane cylinder pressures. if you equaled out the cylinder pressures between the two, the lower compression setup would have a larger volume of air/fuel and make more power. I agree totally with the no pump gas statement, but I also stress that bigger blowers are cheaper than new engines.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

For sale- 2 stock 575sci 256 blowers, pulleys, belts and intakes
Old 10-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Registered

What are you upgrading to 4bus?
Old 10-24-2014, 08:32 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
. What is really being accomplished with the blower is adding cylinder pressure which makes more power.
I disagree if your talking cylinder pressure at TDC of compression stroke.

More oxygen molecules means more than intake charge compression / cylinder pressure.

Obviously, there is a certain semi-fine line to that.

However, cylinder pressure does mean alot.

If your engine can not be made to take in more oxygen molecules, the next step is to raise physical compression.

====================

Edit in: raising compression by means of physcal parts / dimension changes does not change how much air is comming into the motor.

Adding more air into the same combustion space adds cylinder pressure.

Same air, but reducing combustion chamber size (larger dome pistons, smaller cyl head chamber, etc,etc) also adds cylinder pressure.

2 Different things.

Last edited by SB; 10-24-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
What are you upgrading to 4bus?
Ya know....I want to, but.

I am not sure how much longer I will keep the boat. Right now it is very attractive to dealers and some buyers because the mods are internal, so it still appears to be stock. Stock improved I guess But there is no hiding an 871 blower. In it's current form Peir 57 would buy it outright at a good price if I wanted to get out and move to the mountains and live off the land hahah.

So...I go back and fourth. Bigger blowers, surface drives and paint. Or trade in for #6 fountain or OL. I just know once I get too deep I will prob own it for life.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

So get deep. Your boat with 871s and paint and arnesons would be as good as or better than a 6 fountain or ol! I say do it!! Lol
Old 10-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I think what Black Baja was trying to say, was that when using too small of a blower for the application, the best bet is to raise the static/dynamic compression a bit. Since the small blower is only capable of so much, getting the compression up a tad, helps the engine make more power on "motor" so to speak.

Lets say you have a stock 525sc. What you have there is a 454, that made a whopping 1.15HP per ci. Thats hardly impressive, as today we can make that number easily without a blower and be marine reliable. Turning the boost up, to make more power on a stock 525sc, was of little gain. Becuase the blower spinning so fast simply superheated the air. You could never add 150+HP to a 525sc with pulley swaps and a chiller, without seriously redesigning the entire engine package, if you wanted to keep the 177.

Now, lets say you take a 525sc engine, but want to make more power out of it, but keep the same small blower. If you were to raise the static compression from 7:6:1, to around 8.5:1, camshaft upgrade, maybe a cylinder head upgrade, now you can pick up 50,75,100, or more hp, but at the same, or even less boost than stock. Simply because its making more power on "Motor".

Now lets talk about a 600sc merc. That had a 420 B&M blower, 7% underdriven. It also was low 7.6:1 or whatever compression. I know of guys who simply took that stock merc engine, added a superchiller, and cranked the boost up to 9-10psi, and picked up tremendous power without touching the engine internals. Simply because the larger blower was capable of making 9-10psi without extreme overdriving and took advantage of that low static compression.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.