Roots Blower Sizing >

Roots Blower Sizing

Notices

Roots Blower Sizing

Old 10-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Yup and the '71' was supposedly the cid of each cylinder. I believe.

But, I am not a diesel guy at all. So I may be blowing black smoke on that one. LOL.
sb,that is correct.a lot of people dont know but the 71 series used the blower to suck the exhaust out,not to force air in.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Registered

the 92 series uses the blower on the intake side.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:55 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
sb,that is correct.a lot of people dont know but the 71 series used the blower to suck the exhaust out,not to force air in.
2 stroke ?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm willing to learn something new every day, but I've been building and working on diesel engines, big and small, for longer then I've been into high performance stuff, and I've never seen a Detroit diesel run exhaust through the blower. They only have exhaust valves and need the blower to force air into the cylinders through slots in the side. It does help push the exhaust out, but never sucks it out. This might not work properly because it's from my phone, but this is the idea. This photo is actually a little GM EMD 2 stroke. 16 cylinders, 567ci each hole. 1800hp at 800 rpm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]531496[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Roots Blower Sizing-image.jpg  
Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

this should help us get up to speed on the detriot diesels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_71

http://www.dieselduck.info/historica.../#.VEsa3vnF98E
Old 10-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I'm willing to learn something new every day, but I've been building and working on diesel engines, big and small, for longer then I've been into high performance stuff, and I've never seen a Detroit diesel run exhaust through the blower. They only have exhaust valves and need the blower to force air into the cylinders through slots in the side. It does help push the exhaust out, but never sucks it out. This might not work properly because it's from my phone, but this is the idea. This photo is actually a little GM EMD 2 stroke. 16 cylinders, 567ci each hole. 1800hp at 800 rpm
alex,you are correct,i guess i should have said it is used to help evacuate exhaust gasses.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

alex,you are correct,i guess i should have said it is used to help evacuate exhaust gasses.
Mercury should have used that system to help out those GM iron heads they stuck on their engines

Maybe mount some 177s inline with each exhaust pipe to help those exhaust ports out a little

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 10-24-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:16 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Mercury should have used that system to help out those GM iron heads they stuck on their engines

Maybe mount some 177s inline with each exhaust pipe to help those exhaust ports out a little
Hey take it easy on them iron heads. Compared to the other manufactures Chevy was King.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:22 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Little boat motor?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. A bit of a hijack, but kind of related because it's where our blowers came from. The 2 stroke detroit's are incredibly durable engines, and very well engineered. They were built to be universal, the front can be the back, anything from one side will fit on the other, you can join them together, throughout the same engine series almost every part is interchangeable. Compound supercharging was common practice (turbos feeding roots blowers). They were never intended to be a long term use engine, but were so well built they just wouldn't die, and gathered a very strong following, only phased out many years later by more efficient, environmentally friendly engines. Speaking of engineering, modern performance gas engines have nothing on 1950's diesel tech. Overhead cams, shaft mounted roller rockers, piston oilers, bushed solid roller lifters, turbos, etc. Sounds Familiar huh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.