Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Looking for some real out of the box thinking.... >

Looking for some real out of the box thinking....

Notices

Looking for some real out of the box thinking....

Old 11-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i would think you would want counter rotating props. what they mean is borgs have to be in forward. forward has to be turned the other way for opposite rotation with a borg. you must have an opposite rotation engine for that. and performance cams for opposite rotating engines are less common. also it doesn't get you down as deep in the hull as you want to be.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your going to have to go with a extreme engine angle or find a twin disc and use a Borg liberty or hurth on the other side then there is the v drive mod , do you know what the kammas want for a ratio in and out ? Is it 1-1 ? Will it pull and do the proper rooster with a lh and rt hand prop set up if made to work ? I have a Trs boat at shop ,its a single with a zz502 ,but with a serp belt and custom pan it looks like it could go forward and down enough to clear a 18" trans ,take the spicers out of the rear of the kamma and swap.with v drive drag style cv joint coupler .
That's all the outside the box I have tonite but potentially way cheaper than scrounging up 14 grand worth of trannys that could still break and won't be getting fixed by Joe transmission
Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If whatever you have for motors is flat tappet ,rev BBC cams profiles still out there and cam grinders seem to be hungry these days in this area.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you everybody for the true out of the box thinking! I just secured a pair of twin disc transmissions so I no longer have to find a way to work around this issue!

Good news is this still won't be a simple bolt in install. I plan to engineer a custom engine/transmission chassis that will make it even easier to install and remove my already simple engine setup!

I love customizing!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

[QUOTE=502ss;4215480]can you explain your comment? Did you mean "Forget about reversing a 72C" because they cant do that or did you mean "forget about having to reverse direction because its not necessary"? If the later is what you meant lets hear why? I actually asked this question a while ago ([url]http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives
I meant I overlooked the fact you had to reverse rotation. Because with my powerglide suggestion Im assuming they can not hold as much power in reverse as in forward. But maybe they can be built that way.
Anyway, moot at this point.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:30 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Jim,

What did you have top pay for the Twin Discs, and what condition were they in? I would like an idea od value for mine that I will be selling.

Thanks,

Steve