single plane intake vs. dual plane >

single plane intake vs. dual plane

Notices

single plane intake vs. dual plane

Old 11-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
If anyone is interested and can post it I can send you the dyno graph of my carbed 540 with 315 AFRs and vic Jr.
Posting it up for you bud.

660HP from a mild 540, at 5600RPM, is excellent numbers. The torque curve and peak point, is also excellent. Very nice combo. My guess is it has a very mild camshaft in it

I have to ask though, was this particular pull, where the engine made its best numbers? If the AFR data is correct, my gut tells me you may have been leaving a little power on the table being that lean.
Attached Thumbnails single plane intake vs. dual plane-imag0418.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On big block's and based on some of the input single plane seems to be a obvious choice on small block's id be hard pressed to agree with that. Actually could it be due to lack of proper intake design for high HP big block's? Even on small block's there increasing the plenum size to accomidate higher power aka more mass or air. The vid's a bit corny but it does address the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2DvnoHWagk&feature=player_detailpage
Old 11-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
No it does I've seen it done on a flow bench. It's been a couple years since I've seen it and honestly at that time I really wasn't interested in it @ .500+ lift the head started gaining with the tunnel ram on it not much but it started gaining. I kinda dismissed what I witnessed on my buddies bench until about a year ago. I started looking into tunnel rams. I called all kinds of cylinder head guys alot of them said yes if done right the will pick up some said no they will not. They are called a tunnel ram for a reason...
I think your on to something!
I think Mild said it best when he suggested a better set of heads, just the intake is not going to do much!
Old 11-09-2014, 12:50 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Those were the best numbers and I've been told by someone else that it's dangerously lean. Your thoughts? Also, that run is with the addition of a 2 inch spacer which made a big improvement across the board.

I'll tell you my thought about that A/F ratio.

I'll bet a $100 the A/F ratio was derived from the airflow meters #'s vs the Fuel Flow Meter #'s. Not a wideband.

If that was a wideband, why was the engine not tuned while on the dyno ?

It is not a super accurate # and no real info can be attained from it. Not uncommon to be a point higher than what they should be.

In me experience the fuel flow meters are more accurate than the airflow meters. I look at both #'s seperate for other things but never together for a/f ratio.

Last edited by SB; 11-09-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:58 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Posting it up for you bud.

660HP from a mild 540, at 5600RPM, is excellent numbers. The torque curve and peak point, is also excellent. Very nice combo. My guess is it has a very mild camshaft in it

I have to ask though, was this particular pull, where the engine made its best numbers? If the AFR data is correct, my gut tells me you may have been leaving a little power on the table being that lean.
Those were the best numbers and I've been told by someone else that it's dangerously lean. Your thoughts? Also, that run is with the addition of a 2 inch spacer which made a big improvement across the board. So single planes don't necessarily hurt mid range. Just sent you a pic of the chart prior to the adding the spacer.

Last edited by bck; 11-09-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added info at end