Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bearing clearances, oil weight, and more... >

Bearing clearances, oil weight, and more...

Notices

Bearing clearances, oil weight, and more...

Old 11-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordtrucks
I would wonder if I should run tighter Clarence's in a motor that I'm building that will be all forged lower end, have a ProCharger at 8-10psi and never break a water temp of 100°F then say a similar motor that warms up to 200° and stays there. My motor running so cold may not expand as much.. For cooling the bearings, I like the idea of a little lost with a heavier oil "VR1,20-50" and a bigger oil pump.. As for load/vers oil viscosity, I'm not sure.. My cat engines in my OTR semi trucks have a high load, slow rpm deal and run 60-80 psi oil press with 15-40 but the otr Cummins isx engine maybe make 30 psi hot. My new Volvo runs 10-30 summer, 0-30 winter. Not quite a boat motor tho.
I would run the normal clearances, why mess with it? my buddys got pro chargers, .003 mains 1-4 .0034 rear no issues
Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't take it any more. Why is everybody referring to 10w-anything, but I think mostly 40 has been discussed here as being thin. First: It's only 10 at start up and second: more important, I believe. Is as long as there is oil on the bearing (shear factor!) where is the problem? 30w and certainly 40w isn't too thin. Before synthetic oils every bodies "God of Engines" MERCURY recommended 40w in the summer heat and 30w when it was below "X" temp. Engines weren't blowing up back than. And the truth of the matter is the oil wasn't nearly as good as it is today.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my last post I meant to say I like the idea of a looser clearance with more oil volume. I also agree that running a cold motor hard isn't a good thing but what's a guy to do? Us blower motor guys run cold.. The oil gets hot, just not the rest.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by COOPS
5 quart capacity that has an allowable usage of 1 quart every 600 miles. This same motor has a recommended change interval of 10,000 miles.... Do the math. Less than half way through your oil change you could be replacing your engine instead of the oil. 0w-20 is like antifreeze consistency.
If you think 0W20 is thin when cold, wait until it is hot..

I have never been a proponet of thin oils for additional fuel milage, I would rather have protection of a thicker fluid at the cost of milage.

Ken

Last edited by minxguy; 11-20-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Registered

Dote Racing, a top fuel car, uses 70 weight petroleum oil.

Fuel dilution kills anything else.
Ken
Old 11-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Yes.

Many cars that come in here have oil caps that state 0W-20. Some 5W-20, etc, etc, you get the drift.

So two things, not only thinner oil but only synthetics found in that weight category.

Synthetics are the only way to meet the low temp qualifications of the grade.

Ken
Old 11-20-2014, 06:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
In 2009 the federal government mandated auto manufacturers recommend 20wt oil. If the manufacturer did not comply they had to pay a fine for that model. Not all manufacturers have complied with every model. What I have noticed when the switch to 20 wt was made. Oil consumption is very high most cars are running out of oil before there normal change interval. I work on a ton of cars. Probably 30-50 different makes and models a week. This is what I have witnessed as a trend with 20wt oils. You can have them.
Not sure about the government mandate for 20 weight, but let me throw this out for discussion. Do you think that there might be a corolation between the mandated amount of zinc in oil, running a lower viscosity, and lower oil ring tension all having an effect on catalyic converter life?

Lets face it, we had cats in the past and we were running higher zinc oils that were of a higer viscosity and much lower oil consumption

Is the lowed zinc levels really a result of energy conserving measures (lower oil viscosity/less ring tension) applied by the OEM's to help meet federally mandated CAFE requirements which in turn cause more oil consumption which in fact poisions the cat?

Ken
Old 11-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I find it interesting that in the new vettes, GM recommends 5w30 for normal driving, but states for high performance driving or racing, 15w50 is to be used.

Id consider when my boat engines are at 4000-5700 rpm out on the lake, thats high performance operation. My stuffs quite a bit looser and making quite a bit more power than a new vette engine.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I find it interesting that in the new vettes, GM recommends 5w30 for normal driving, but states for high performance driving or racing, 15w50 is to be used.

Id consider when my boat engines are at 4000-5700 rpm out on the lake, thats high performance operation. My stuffs quite a bit looser and making quite a bit more power than a new vette engine.
It's not high performance until it gets over the 6000 mark 0w20 will b fine.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by minxguy
Not sure about the government mandate for 20 weight, but let me throw this out for discussion. Do you think that there might be a corolation between the mandated amount of zinc in oil, running a lower viscosity, and lower oil ring tension all having an effect on catalyic converter life?

Lets face it, we had cats in the past and we were running higher zinc oils that were of a higer viscosity and much lower oil consumption

Is the lowed zinc levels really a result of energy conserving measures (lower oil viscosity/less ring tension) applied by the OEM's to help meet federally mandated CAFE requirements which in turn cause more oil consumption which in fact poisions the cat?

Ken
Japs have always used low tension rings. A tear down @ 200,000 + shows the cylinders still look great. I don't think high zinc / low tension rings hurts the cats as they say it does. I've ran high zinc oil in my Tacoma for years... 15w40 Rotella supposed to be 5w30 150,000 no issues. When I started seeing many cat issues is when they introduced ethanol fuel. I think the high pressure lubricant/ cat issue deal is an excuse to produce a cheaper quality oil. Same deal with the ethanol. It's so they can produce a cheaper quality fuel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.