Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Blown head gasket and worn wrist pin... rebuild advise? >

Blown head gasket and worn wrist pin... rebuild advise?

Notices

Blown head gasket and worn wrist pin... rebuild advise?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I'd recommend saving up an additional 3 grand
Lol - So like I said just get it back together, making sure everything is straight, not cracked and machined for new bearings/rings etc should be my plan then!?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I've installed new flat tappet lifters on an existing cam before with no issues. But never tried taking a used lifter from one lobe to the next.
Originally Posted by Black Baja
Been there done it have the t-shirt. Doesn't make a bit of difference.
I have to say that I've done it also (put flat tappets on different lobes). As recently as 5-6 years ago I just put them in a container and then put them back. When I was a poor college student, I put used lifters on a new cam and ran them 50k + miles. Never had an issue. Now I always keep them in order, read too many internet stories and articles and they overruled my experience I guess

BUT, I've always run a high zinc oil and broken cams in.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought my first car at 16. It had a 390 w/428 heads. 3 days later the bearings went. With grand hopes of replacing the cam and lifters with something radical I left the original laying around, and I mean laying around! When money didn't allow for a new cam and lifters I DUG the lifters out of the dirt, I'd been walking over them for months, and wire wheeled, disassembled and cleaned them, and wire wheeled the rust off the cam. The engine lasted a year (about 8 sets of rear tires) before it spun a rod. On disassembly it also had several broken valve springs but the cam was decent. Failure was likely due to 6000RPM (cheap tach)daily.
Fast forward 20 years.
Rebuilt an actual 428 and lost a bearing. Kept all lifters in order and redid bottom end. A week or two afterward the cam went flat.
Moral of the story: make sure you polish the lifters in dirt for a week
Old 11-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First corollary of re-using a flat tappet cam: The chances of the cam living without going flat are inversely proportional to the dollar amount you have invested in the bottom end of the engine, multiplied by the inverse of how much you intend to use the boat / car.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
First corollary of re-using a flat tappet cam: The chances of the cam living without going flat are inversely proportional to the dollar amount you have invested in the bottom end of the engine, multiplied by the inverse of how much you intend to use the boat / car.
Hell, that's damn accurate for any toy.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
the flat tappet cams have some lifters rotating clockwise[50%]the other 50% rotate counterclockwise.this helps control cam endplay.i can,t remember where i read that but i believe it.
I did not know that. Some good info that I'll probably never put to use. I guess their direction is controlled by the offset of the lifter in relation to it's lobe.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
the flat tappet cams have some lifters rotating clockwise[50%]the other 50% rotate counterclockwise.this helps control cam endplay.i can,t remember where i read that but i believe it.
I'm not sure if the two banks rotate in opposite directions, but I have read that the lobes are ground at an angle to not only keep the lifters spinning but also keep the cam from walking out the front of the block. That is one reason why you have to have a cam retainer or button for a roller cam, but you don't need one for a flat tappet.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Registered

To the OP - if you are thinking about using your flat tappet cam over again, first take a look at the bottom of each lifter. If any of them are showing a pattern that indicates the lifter has stopped spinning, then that means the lobe is already worn to the point that it will soon be going flat. You will see a little rectangular mark where the lifter is contacting the lobe in one spot in that case. The ones that are spinning will have a circular pattern.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Been there done it have the t-shirt. Doesn't make a bit of difference.
I would agree. In my experience with them it has never made a difference. We spun them high rpm for yr after yr with no problems. I have fixed a few solid flat tappet cams and the lobes are tapered to the front so it pulls the cam back. We mixed them up all the time. Hell we even tried putting solid lifters on the exhaust in Stock classes to gain an edge never changed a thing tho. Us poor boys tried all kinds of crap but we learned a lot too.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
I'm not sure if the two banks rotate in opposite directions, but I have read that the lobes are ground at an angle to not only keep the lifters spinning but also keep the cam from walking out the front of the block. That is one reason why you have to have a cam retainer or button for a roller cam, but you don't need one for a flat tappet.
the retainer plate in a roller cam application is to keep the roller in the center of the lobe,the roller does not like movement ,it will try to twist the lifter and we don,t want that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.