Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best oil filter with sandwich adapter and plugged bypass? >

Best oil filter with sandwich adapter and plugged bypass?

Notices

Best oil filter with sandwich adapter and plugged bypass?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
If you don't want to spend the $$$ on say; System One Billet filter with a 35 micron element and non bypass. Use a Wix racing filter by all means. I always use a Napa Gold, so to catch all the small particles at initial start-up in the boat to catch everything after coming off the dyno, with all the coolers and hoses in place. Water coming into the picture affecting the filter, is a problem to start with, unless I misunderstood you.
I been using this exact filter as a dual filter setup for over 20 years with no regrets.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's no way in hell I would try to use the filter on a block mount..what a royal pain in the a$$ in every boat set up...I used a Eddie marine block adapter, #10 lines, a moroso oil filter mount w/a napa gold/wix tall filter and a Eddie marine large oil cooler...
Old 12-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ez, getting to the filter is not too terrible, just wish I had a little more room for something taller. Spinning it off is no problem - the trick is manuevering it out of there. If I had it to do over again, probably would have gone with a remote filter, but having the stat built into the adapter, along with eliminating a pair of 90's and about 3-4 feet of hose sounded like a good idea.

Now it would definitely be a "no-go" in a twin engine application.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

till sounds complicated ,so the 2 front cooler ports are capped ,and its all goin down off the filter pad ? The extra lines and clutter won't win any awards for the least clutter but you get some extra oil capacity bonus .and you can still rightfully pull the thermostatic oil control card
Old 12-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by airjunky
till sounds complicated ,so the 2 front cooler ports are capped ,and its all goin down off the filter pad ? The extra lines and clutter won't win any awards for the least clutter but you get some extra oil capacity bonus .and you can still rightfully pull the thermostatic oil control card
It has two ports that go to the cooler, regulated by a built in stat. Oil flows through the filter full time.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Budman II
It has two ports that go to the cooler, regulated by a built in stat. Oil flows through the filter full time.

Who's product is this, Earle by chance?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not an Earl's. Earl's is a billet piece.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like the one I got from Jegs. I did the same thing. The block ports are to small at only 3/8" and the adapter is 1/2" threads with the built in stat. Last year when using the block ports to -10 lines then my cooler which is 3/4"( or -12) I would raise temp to 240 with a 1 to 2 minute wide open run. It would cool right back 200 in 5 minutes at 3200rpm. The sandwich adaptor in my donzi I can still run the bigger filter and my oil temp doesn't go above 210 and regularly is at 180 when running easy/ normal. I do like the adaptor I think it works well for my application. Also I can go up on that and line size if needed since the cooler could take more flow. In short I think this will work for you as well.

Now on your filter question. I think you guys are making it to complicated. I run the Purolator pure one filters on everything I own. 25 years on a 350 Mag. For the last 12 have been mobile 1 oil with pure one filter. I took the heads off this year to check it and it's perfect inside. 25 years at an average of 50hrs per year. That's a motor with no oil cooler and temp sensor on the oil. Yes it's a black motor. However thats one oil change per year and my father and I running it like we stole it. Just run a good filter, block the bypass and run good oil. If you keep it pinned everytime your out change your oil more often. If it's put together correctly it will stay together. Just my .02.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take a look at kandpengineering.com I'm running one. reusable, filters to 35micron and they look good.

And I just realized how old this thread was...