Removing Silent Choice Exhaust ??? >

Removing Silent Choice Exhaust ???

Notices

Removing Silent Choice Exhaust ???

Old 04-09-2015, 05:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

So, what about loud motorcycles on the streets right next to homes? It there a law for that? All my friends boats have thru hull only...I'm the only one that had silent choice..They don't enforce it in New York
Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
For those that have followed or come across this, another option for deleting out your Silent Choice is what I did. and have had no issues in over 13 years.
Unfortunatly like most I did not want the expense of pulling motors, but also was leary about just capping the y-pipe.
So I removed the diverters, disassembled them--removed the internals--and then had the holes welded shut.
Reinstalled the diverter, installed a set of Teague 450's tips, and called it done.
Reasons, MN law does not allow Silent choice, I did not want to fund pulling motors, Most importantly the Silent choice was SLOW actuating! and took to long to close out the 'bark'
I have not had any issues with the y-pipe or the diverter being welded. I am able to run out the thru-hulls as well as some goes down the y-pipe.
So you are basically running the same thing as Merc's Quick 'N Quiet, right? That setup sends exhaust both out the transom (muffled tips) and down the Y-pipe thru the prop. The Y-pipe acts as an additional escape route for some of the back pressure from the tips.

The only issue with doing that is that it doesn't solve the issue of reversion from a short riser - unless you are extending the inner pipe through the diverter.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They run with no issues!
It sucks!
Be lucky!

Originally Posted by 35fountain
So, what about loud motorcycles on the streets right next to homes? It there a law for that? All my friends boats have thru hull only...I'm the only one that had silent choice..They don't enforce it in New York
Old 04-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, but I did it before the made their system Changed mine out back in 2000 or 2001

Originally Posted by Budman II
So you are basically running the same thing as Merc's Quick 'N Quiet, right? That setup sends exhaust both out the transom (muffled tips) and down the Y-pipe thru the prop. The Y-pipe acts as an additional escape route for some of the back pressure from the tips.

The only issue with doing that is that it doesn't solve the issue of reversion from a short riser - unless you are extending the inner pipe through the diverter.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
They run with no issues!
It sucks!
Be lucky!
wow..That makes no sense..Let me refrase...If you run your boat on new york lakes most of them have a speed and noise law. I run my boat on a river, no speed or noise restrictions. Some local politicians tried to put a speed restriction on the river years ago and lost and they don't enforce the noise levels either

Last edited by 35fountain; 04-09-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2022, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
those are exactly the ones I used.

Sorry to revive and old thread. I am going to be pulling my engine later this year and want to be prepared to remove the diverted exhaust on my 29 fountain with a single 525. and replace with the CMI tips in this post assuming they are still available. Im assuming this these caps just go on the transom side of the boat and that is it? Then put the straight tails on and you are all set? Was there a noticeable sound difference?
Old 05-03-2022, 04:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HyFive578
What did you cap them with ??
I have a set of caps with the hoses and the clamps if interested