Notices

454 Repower

Old 12-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
110lsa??? No!!!
I agree with Mild!
I try to stay out of these cam threads, but I have to add my 02 cents. 112 min. LSA you can stand to add a bit of duration depending on the exhaust timing closing event.. FYI I have had good results with reversion if you spread the exhaust LSA further. A custom grinder can stagger the intake LSA and exhaust LSA to help with the reversion. ALSO just my opinion ditch the Eldebrock! Cams are subjective to so many engine variables that I suggest as many others have said to get another opinion.

Last edited by abones; 12-15-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:31 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

ICL and ECL. Deg between the two is the LSA.

Just clearing things up to avoid confusion.

Last edited by SB; 12-15-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
ICL and ECL. Deg between the two is the LSA.

Just clearing things up to avoid confusion.
Exactly, maybe he's thinking of a 4 pattern cam?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

We have decades of experience with street rod/ classic car rebuild and tractor repair.
That's from there website.....

So this guy can make your John Deere haul azz, but has he ever seen a boat?? Nowhere on his site does it mention marine.

You might want to find a shop a little more performance marine oriented so you only have to build this motor twice instead of 3 times,
Old 12-15-2014, 11:31 PM
SB
Registered

Nah, just lingo mess up. Thus why I'm keeping it straight so other's don't get confused.

=============================================

A lot of people have basic understanding of lsa, but not intake centerlines (ICL) and Exhaust Centerlines (ECL) and that they mathmatically make the LSA #.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Registered

Default Correction

Originally Posted by abones
I agree with Mild!
I try to stay out of these cam threads, but I have to add my 02 cents. 112 min. LSA you can stand to add a bit of duration depending on the exhaust timing closing event.. FYI I have had good results with reversion if you spread the exhaust C/L further. A custom grinder can spread the intake C/L and exhaust C/L to help with the reversion. ALSO just my opinion ditch the Eldebrock! Cams are subjective to so many engine variables that I suggest as many others have said to get another opinion.
LMAO! I logged tonight first time since Monday night. Sorry I can't post, bid on Ebay, PM members, and answer emails at the same time, and proof read my post!! Corrected Quote above!! My experience with this has been in My blown 454 years back, we had a reversion issue(with lightning headers) move from a 114 to a 115 LSA (Reground the same cam) same duration/lift cured the problem! At the time we were going to back the duration down 2 degrees(as it was minor amount of water) but we tried the wider lobe separation and it worked. Main point being even with the lower duration #s you posted I would still go to at least a 112 lobe separation.

Thanks SB for getting on that right away!!

Quick2500 I was considering a 4 pattern cam for my little 302 Ford this spring but they are pricey!!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
LMAO! I logged tonight first time since Monday night. Sorry I can't post, bid on Ebay, PM members, and answer emails at the same time, and proof read my post!! Corrected Quote above!! My experience with this has been in My blown 454 years back, we had a reversion issue(with lightning headers) move from a 114 to a 115 LSA (Reground the same cam) same duration/lift cured the problem! At the time we were going to back the duration down 2 degrees(as it was minor amount of water) but we tried the wider lobe separation and it worked. Main point being even with the lower duration #s you posted I would still go to at least a 112 lobe separation.

Thanks SB for getting on that right away!!

Quick2500 I was considering a 4 pattern cam for my little 302 Ford this spring but they are pricey!!
If the 4 pattern was worth it the guys that have all the money would have them in there motors and they don't.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:18 PM
SB
Registered

I know the feeling. I've typed some bozo stuff while on the phone/emailing/and typing on a forum.

Don't worry about the 4 pattern cam. Save your $$$.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Registered

Yeah I bought a flat tappet hyd for my 1968 302, wanted the original type cam just went a bunch bigger sounds real nice!

PS I lost my items on Ebay also!!

This spring being this past spring, not coming spring,

Last edited by abones; 12-17-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found out the hard way that you have to be careful comparing cam profiles between a flat tappet design and a roller design. You could have two cams with identical LSA and duration at .050 lift, with one being a hyd flat tappet and the other a hyd roller, and you could have different tendencies towards reversion depending on the actual lobe profile. For one thing, a roller can have a much more aggressive lobe profile that gets the valve up off the seat much more quickly, so you really need to look at the timing events listed on the cam card to predict how the cam will behave in regards to reversion. Add to that other factors like compression, cylinder port efficiency, displacement, crank stroke, and the angle of drop for the exhaust, and you can end up with some surprising results when it is all put together if you only base your cam selection on LSA and duration.

I'm running what should be a very docile hyd roller (226* / 230* @ .050, 114* LSA) in a 489, and that thing would shred a dollar bill with it's reverse exhaust pulse at idle if you held it up to the collector. I think I had the perfect storm of longer stroke accelerating the piston, very efficient exhaust ports (AFR heads - remember, they can flow in both directions), and header design contributing to this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.