benefits of distributor-less ignition >

benefits of distributor-less ignition

Notices

benefits of distributor-less ignition

Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beaver 3
i feel like its just a matter of time before somebody (me) throws a foxbody ecm on a bbc with a ls firing order. ( in fords its 13726548, draw it out on paper compared to chevy cylinder numbering. its the same.) go ahead and compare an ls to smallblock ford on paper. you will realize gm took the sbf and dropped a few mil to come up with the ls. take an ls header and a 302/351, chopoff the flange and tell me which is which? sure the ports of the head are more efficient but millions of dollars will do that.

im glad chevy has decided to continue on with pushrods. but i feel like pushrod tech has reached its limits for our life time with oem and they will be moving to ohc within 10 years.

they are already direct injecting. which we will never see as long as we have bbc in our boats.
Ok, so the great OHC engines from Ford are better in what ways over the LS ?? only make more power with lots of boost, fuel mileage ? nope..why do you think Ford trying a aluminum body in the F150(good luck with that) to get economy..reliability ?? spark plug clusterf@#k, timing chains ??? No thanks...I'll stick with simplicity of the "old" pushrod engines, not that they don't all have there shortcomings....
Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fords ohc is more efficient any way you look at it. not that i was trying to start an argument in anyway with my post. but since you want to.

yes they do make more power with lots of boost. (more efficient)

the 4.6 block is the strongest production block in the history of the world. it went 6s in the quarter years ago. what chevy,toyota,dodge,honda, lambo, etc has thought about that without an aftermarket block. (sorry it may have been a filled block.) close enough to production for me.

economy. ever wonder why the gt500 /GT didnt have a fuel tax and the camaro / vette did? (More efficient)

spark plug issues.
a very small percentage of early 2v 4.6 blew them out. any hack worthy of owning a craftsmen tool set could helicoil and repair it.
3 valve. im sure youve heard horror stories on dealerships having to pull heads and replace engines do to sparkplugs being stuck in heads. i wont say ive change spark plugs on hundreds of 3v trucks. but i will say i have changed hundreds of spark plugs on 3v trucks. guess what ive never broke one off. i run an in induction cleaner through them first ( seafoam etc) and let them set until room temp. then i put a 3/8 impact on the plug very lightly. in may take 5 sec to 10 minutes for a plug to come out. but they come out. (not more efficient lol)

external packaging. as far as looks and fitting into a tight spot go. the ls wins hands down.

now the new 5.0 next generation mod motors. gm has nothing for them. piston cooling nozzles etc from the factory. 800hp at the wheels from a bolt on procharger is nothing to sneeze at.

and now we are even moving onto the next generation from them allready in 2016 with a flat plane crank and an 8,200 redline from the factory.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fords ohc is more efficient any way you look at it. not that i was trying to start an argument in anyway with my post. but since you want to.

the 4.6 block is the strongest production block in the history of the world. it went 6s in the quarter years ago. what chevy,toyota,dodge,honda, lambo, etc has thought about that without an aftermarket block. (sorry it may have been a filled block.) close enough to production for me.

economy. ever wonder why the gt500 /GT didnt have a fuel tax and the camaro / vette did? (More efficient)

spark plug issues.
a very small percentage of early 2v 4.6 blew them out. any hack worthy of owning a craftsmen tool set could helicoil and repair it.
3 valve. im sure youve heard horror stories on dealerships having to pull heads and replace engines do to sparkplugs being stuck in heads. i wont say ive change spark plugs on hundreds of 3v trucks. but i will say i have changed hundreds of spark plugs on 3v trucks. guess what ive never broke one off. i run an in induction cleaner through them first ( seafoam etc) and let them set until room temp. then i put a 3/8 impact on the plug very lightly. in may take 5 sec to 10 minutes for a plug to come out. but they come out. (not more efficient lol)

external packaging. as far as looks and fitting into a tight spot go. the ls wins hands down.

now the new 5.0 next generation mod motors. gm has nothing for them. piston cooling nozzles etc from the factory. 800hp at the wheels from a bolt on procharger is nothing to sneeze at.

and now we are even moving onto the next generation from them allready in 2016 with a flat plane crank and an 8,200 redline from the factory.
Man you stole my trick! Actually Fords service procedure for removing the plugs works very well to.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Maybe an Innovators West balancer with magnets in the balancer is in order.
I talked at length to ATI about building me a balancer with a 58X wheel made into it, while keeping the same external dimensions of a standard balancer. We did all of the drawings, measurements, etc. I just never pulled the trigger on it. It was pretty pricey, but sure would simplify things. My only issue was that if/when you had to replace it, it was expensive at more than twice the price of a standard ATI balancer.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. That's exactly what I was thinking for coil mounting. Only thing I thought of differently was using studs instead of bolts.
GT performance makes the 1 piece coil brackets .
Old 12-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I talked at length to ATI about building me a balancer with a 58X wheel made into it, while keeping the same external dimensions of a standard balancer. We did all of the drawings, measurements, etc. I just never pulled the trigger on it. It was pretty pricey, but sure would simplify things. My only issue was that if/when you had to replace it, it was expensive at more than twice the price of a standard ATI balancer.
I believe they have them or can make them.i saw them at my buddies shop.i'm checking on it right now.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
I believe they have them or can make them.i saw them at my buddies shop.i'm checking on it right now.
They told me that they can certainly make them. Like I said, we had all the measurements and drawings finalized and ready to go. I just never pulled the trigger personally. That was really just due to price and limited use. A lot of customers already had a good balancer so why would they want to but another one that was more than twice the price when we could just add a trigger wheel. It was a really sharp piece though. This was several years ago, so maybe they started making it anyway.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered

Man you stole my trick! Actually Fords service procedure for removing the plugs works very well to.
does that work when the plug comes apart ?

Last edited by ezstriper; 12-18-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

they make one,,8-10 weeks to get them.waiting on a price.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Registered

spark plug issues.

ok, 1st the GT 500 DID in fact have the gas guzzler tax hung right on the window sticker, the spark plug theasco on these are well documented, costing owners tons of $$$$ and also rest my case..lots of boost to get power, I'm not arguing the fact that the newer 5.0's dont run good..but look at the cost...the whole deal there is $$$$ and if you want to spend that kind of $$$ in your mod motor, thats fine...just let us know what it cost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.