Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Budget 454 Build >

Budget 454 Build

Notices

Budget 454 Build

Old 12-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

That truck LE8 smog engine, in stock form circa 1985, used a 800CFM quadrajet if memory serves me right.

Rated at 230HP at 3600RPM. 385ft lbs at 1600RPM. Dead at about 3800RPM cam.

The "marine" version of that engine, simply got a larger camshaft, no real changes to the long block.. The cam, Which was simply the old GM LS5 camshaft. Used in the 350HP 396ci, and the LS5 454 engines from thlate 60's early 70's. 214/218* with .461/.480 lift, 115lsa. That cam is about dead at 4800RPM.

Like I said, that stock RV cam would need to be the first thing to go in the trash.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevD815
My plan is to re-ring, replace the bearings, swap to a double roller timing chain, and swap the cam and valve springs. Its a very low hour motor so im hoping to reuse the stock rotating assembly. I have an oval port Weiand Stealth intake that im considering port matching the heads to. What do you guys think about this practice? Im really shooting for maybe 400hp and do not intend on spinning it past 5000rpm. Also would anyone like to recomend a cam?
Be very careful, especially if it's not a completely stock rotating assembly. The cheap rebuilds people use for trucks /rvs use hypereutectic pistons instead of the cast used in Mark IV Mercs and Chebbies. They will not take much punishment like a cast piston, and not at all like a forged piston.

My boat had one of these rebuilt truck blocks in it. Guess what happened one day? Boom. A little extra heat on a cylinder and it went.

Also, if you do re-use the hypereutectic pistons, make sure your ring gaps are on the high side. If the ring ends even lightly touch each other, those pistons are gone.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by apollard
Be very careful, especially if it's not a completely stock rotating assembly. The cheap rebuilds people use for trucks /rvs use hypereutectic pistons instead of the cast used in Mark IV Mercs and Chebbies. They will not take much punishment like a cast piston, and not at all like a forged piston.

My boat had one of these rebuilt truck blocks in it. Guess what happened one day? Boom. A little extra heat on a cylinder and it went.

Also, if you do re-use the hypereutectic pistons, make sure your ring gaps are on the high side. If the ring ends even lightly touch each other, those pistons are gone.
the hypereutectic piston is stronger than a cast piston,but not as strong as a forged.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:18 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
the hypereutectic piston is stronger than a cast piston,but not as strong as a forged.
True.

However with the high ring placement on the Hypercracking pistons, I believe this makes them more suspeptible (sp?) than the cast in mild builds.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Susceptible* don't make me hijack an informative thread because of your spelling disasters! Get your priorities straight!
1, spelling
2 hear say
3 theory read on the internet
4 factual real life experience.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:29 AM
mtm
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevD815
Hey guys i'm looking to squeeze a little more power out of my 454 for next summer. Im looking to put together a reliable set up without breaking the bank.

I have a 24' Banana 454 TRS set up currently running 54mph gps in the chop. I'm spinning a 23p Mirage at 4500rpm.

My current motor is a 1991 454 4-bolt main truck motor out of a Winnebago. It is all stock, smog cam and everything except for a Marine DUI distributor, a couple carb spacers and a 850cfm marine double pumper. I'm also running a Stainless Marine exhaust. The long block is very similar to a Merc 330. It has penut port heads, cast crank, and i belive 7.8:1 compression.

First let me say that im thrilled that the boat even made it past 50mph with this motor! It has been super reliable for the past two seasons but i would like more for next season. I would be happy with a solid 60mph.

My plan is to re-ring, replace the bearings, swap to a double roller timing chain, and swap the cam and valve springs. Its a very low hour motor so im hoping to reuse the stock rotating assembly. I have an oval port Weiand Stealth intake that im considering port matching the heads to. What do you guys think about this practice? Im really shooting for maybe 400hp and do not intend on spinning it past 5000rpm. Also would anyone like to recomend a cam?

I'm really looking to just get some respectable, reliable speed for next season without killing my TRS. Im finishing up my degree and paying tuition in cash so my funding is a little tied up at the moment! Next year is a different story, this is a one season motor and after that its just a spare. So what do you guys think???
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...ylinder-heads/
Old 12-22-2014, 09:36 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Susceptible* don't make me hijack an informative thread because of your spelling disasters! Get your priorities straight!
1, spelling
2 hear say
3 theory read on the internet
4 factual real life experience.
All mostly true !

LOL.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

that short block runs good leave it together. once you push pistons out of a bore you can't justify reinstalling dished pistons. mebbe replace the bearings without removing crank. scare up a set of alum heads with 113 cc chambers and you will be in high 8's CR.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

vortec heads. l29 engine. 100cc chambers large oval ports with ski jump in the intakes. cheap easy to find in boneyard. a little port work and they do 440 or so hp. 500 ft/lbs torque.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have what you need. 1991 454 mag parts that will all be coming off. Heads, pistons, rods, Crane 242 cam and lifters. I also have a

Wieand Stealth intake manifold. /then you may still be able to use your carb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.