Leaking Hatch Rams >

Leaking Hatch Rams

Notices

Leaking Hatch Rams

Old 12-15-2014, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Hatch Rams

I noticed that my engine hatch would start hopping at higher speeds and would not stay down. I checked my pump resevoir and it was low and then found one of my hatch rams has a slow seep around the bottom fitting. I don't really know much of anything about hydraulics but the hose looks to be push lock. Can I just unscrew the fitting, cut it off, and then lock a new fitting into place? I imagine I need to release the bypass valve to unload the hatch but should I expect oil to come spewing out or anything? i tried to call Dana Marine but found out they aren't around anymore. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Lanceg; 12-15-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump?
Old 12-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Dam it!!!!!!, I had it all typed out and my computer locked the f**k up.. Ugh.

Cliff notes,

You will need a new compression sleeve and might as do the nut also. I believe it is 1/4". You can get them at any hardware store. I got mine at Fleet Farm. They look like this.

If you want you can also just replace the entire fitting. 1/8 npt to 1/4 tubing compression.

Support the hatch up (2x4 or something) to take the pressure of the cylinder, release pressure, remove leaking fitting/nut. Cut old compression sleeve off ( it crimps it shelf to the tubing when tighting the nut)

Install new sleeve and nut. Or replace the entire fitting it self. Refill the oil

bam 20 mins and a cold beer your done.