Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 mag mpi not priming oil?? >

502 mag mpi not priming oil??

Notices

502 mag mpi not priming oil??

Old 12-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with ezstriper. I have never taken more than 30 secs. to prime even a dry pump. Run drill CCW. My guess is that is that the front plugs behind the timing gear were not put in. If any others were left out you would pump the pan dry into the bilge. I have NEVER put a motor in without 1st running it on the floor fully dressed. That's when any oil, fuel or water leaks or problems will show up. And I have done more than my share of builds for many people.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

CCW won't work real well
Old 12-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

on a bbc the oil pump turns clockwise.can you explain why you are saying to turn it ccw?
Old 12-25-2014, 10:08 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,103 Likes on 1,399 Posts

I believe he was commenting / referring to post #30: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post4239857
Where someone was trying to help come up with an idea to get oil into the pump (from the remote filter) to get oil into the pump.

That's all.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
on a bbc the oil pump turns clockwise.can you explain why you are saying to turn it ccw?
to draw the oil down the line and into the pump easier.
and I have done it in the wash tank and the pump would spit the fluid out the pick up.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you using for a drill? The only time I ever had a problem priming the oil pump was when I tried to use a small cordless drill and I really wasn't expecting it to work. Right after that I connected a corded 1/2 drill and it primed in 20-30 seconds. Even if any of the plugs were not installed, you will get back pressure on the drill once the pump gets oil. If the drill turns like it is not connected to anything then the pump isn't getting primed with oil.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Registered

Yeah I'm using a 1/2" corded and it's like there is not pressure there. Well not pressure like it should be
Old 12-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a heat lamp under the pan to warm and thin everything a bit and pull the line to the filter to ease back pressure , stick it in a container and give that a go to see if you are moving any oil.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I had one & only on time where I went to prime the oil system & didn't get oil. Pulled the pan and the pump.... took brand new pump apart, and it was the bypass/pressure plunger that was stuck open. Ya brand new pump and it had a little burr that held the plunger open, so when I tried to prime with a drill it just bypassed. If I was in your shoes... with motor already in the boat, I would try this... take and tap on the end of the primer tool... if its a stuck plunger as I had one time , maybe it will help. What do you have to loose?
Old 12-26-2014, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
if the pump gears&housing is dry i don,t think the pump will suck oil and don,t turn it forever without oil in it or the pump could be damaged.
TRUE. A dry pump will not create enough vacuum to lift the oil into it, in most cases. Too much air just leaks around the gears. Oil flows a very short distance directly from the pump to the oil filter. Therefore just remove the INCOMING LINE at your remote filter and dump oil down it. If you want turn the pump backwards a few turns to make sure the pump gears get well coated, though really shouldn't be necessary. Reconnect the line and prime. Drill will labor especially if you have a HV pump. Turn on the key and watch your gauge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.