Couple quick questions >

Couple quick questions

Notices

Couple quick questions

Old 12-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Interesting. I would never have thought to not oil a seal before install.
When these seals start leaking it's not because the sealing lip has worn out. It's because there is a spring inside the lip that losses it's tension. If you are good you can remove the seal take the spring out shorten the spring to get the tension back re-install and good as new. I've done this many times in a pinch. When customers needed to get on the road and a seal wasn't available.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I usually put a thin coat of rtv(on outside of seal) for insurance and help it slide in too, it should push in pretty easy,but they prob dont recommend it

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-build-up.html

Rtv on the outside of the seal is not a good practice especially on the seals that have the blue sealant around the seal. The rtv has a chemical reaction with it and will not dry properly. In a case where there is a lot of pressure the seal will push out. The best thing is to clean the outside of the seal with lacquer thinner and install.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i stand corrected,thanks for posting the link.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
When these seals start leaking it's not because the sealing lip has worn out. It's because there is a spring inside the lip that losses it's tension. If you are good you can remove the seal take the spring out shorten the spring to get the tension back re-install and good as new. I've done this many times in a pinch. When customers needed to get on the road and a seal wasn't available.
i can not agree,the seal was ripped but the spring was intact.i will say you one thing,you are a brave man for reuseing a used seal.not something i would do.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i stand corrected,thanks for posting the link.
Just sharing some hard earned knowledge. I replaced a front seal on the same Cummins 3 times before someone informed me I was the one causing the issue. Of course, they waited until I finished my long-winded rant about junk seals.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Learn something everyday. Thinking out loud here....assembling heads without lubing the valve steams properly would be unthinkable. Maybe the assembly lube on the Teflon seal creates a perfect "leak" for the valve stem.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...12oaAg9z8P8HAQ

Used hundreds of these successfully.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i can not agree,the seal was ripped but the spring was intact.i will say you one thing,you are a brave man for reuseing a used seal.not something i would do.
Not something a care to do either but drastic times call for drastic measures. Many many times I've ran into situations where you just couldn't source a seal for days and people need their cars...
Old 12-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always wipe the inner groove with grease if there is a spring to keep from knocking it out on install and some on the lip...
Old 12-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Well, it's in. Used your method mike of raising the crank slightly but I did install basically dry.

Hoping to get the pistons in this week so I'll be back for more questions shortly. Thanks!