Carb vs Fuel Inj? >

Carb vs Fuel Inj?

Notices

Carb vs Fuel Inj?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m50
I am looking for something that is reliable, that idles good, and restarts are no problem after a hard run. Will a carb do all that no problem?
A carburetor will do all that and not quit working.
Nowdays people think carbs are junk and EFI is a god,not the case.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:14 AM
m50
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
do a search about the mpi problems and vst tank,you might reconsider the reliability of some efi units.
After just a quick search it seems most of the problems were with the EFI when they first came out, is this true that maybe after about 1999 they seem to have less problems?
thanks RB
Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m50
I was just thinking that the MPI would be a lot less trouble on a boat. Just your basic stock Merc MPI on a stock motor or a stock carb on a stock motor. I am looking to buy a boat and have stayed away from boats with carbs. I am looking for something that is reliable, that idles good, and restarts are no problem after a hard run. Will a carb do all that no problem? I am sure the carbs are a lot better now than when I was messing with hot rods many years ago!
thanks RB
nope....like said before, search vapor lock, sooted transom....
Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Old early Merc EFI systems were a decade or more behind in technology WHEN THEY WERE NEW! The old factory systems can't hold a candle to the new aftermarket systems. I love my Holley HP EFI self tuning system. Set it up correctly with a return regulator and it will never vapor lock. The old Merc systems used a single large fuel rail that were returnless and just would bake on top of the motor from the latent heat when you shut them off. You can get good aftermarket systems for about the price some people think their take off Merc systems are worth.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

modify the merc system to return to the tank and most problems are solved.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It is a trade off. EFI more reliable but when it needs attention it is a nightmare with dozens of sensors/etc that could be causing trouble. 10% more power. A carb and one wire distributor is nice, nothing is simpler, you can draw the entire fuel and electrical system from memory in seconds. EFI is wildly more complex.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Carbs have made more power in every comparison i've seen. The one benefit to EFI I've seen is that it can tame larger cams and help them idle at lower speeds.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Carbs have made more power in every comparison i've seen. The one benefit to EFI I've seen is that it can tame larger cams and help them idle at lower speeds.
no warm up.I start and go at the dock.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=hogie roll;4245871]Carbs have made more power in every comparison i've seen.

With injectors above stacks?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Registered

The stock mpi worked fine on my ProCharged 502. It did have a return to tank fuel line setup. That said it always fired right up. With my new build this winter I'm upgrading to the Holley HP EFI but ide keep the old mpi long before ide run a carb. This is an expensive boat though, if I had a small "hot rod" jet boat then a carb might be OK.. Just my opinions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.