Symptom of leaky header >

Symptom of leaky header

Notices

Symptom of leaky header

Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symptom of leaky header

If header is leaking would a misfire be a common symptom?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At idle mostly. If it's in a spot that can leak towards the motor it will fill the cylinder to the point the starter won't turn it over like I had and your oil will be a milkshake. I could definitely hear it at idle though
Old 01-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Registered

Yeah mine is starting to mis at idle. It's a new motor that I just built and was running on engine stand I bought used CMI headers that were "certified pressure tested" so I suspect this may be the problem. When I first fired it off all was good and I was holding it at about 1800 rpm for several minutes. Then I let it idle for a few minutes. After about 5 mins idling I noticed it started missing. Everything else is new. Ignition,carb heads are fresh from machine shop etc. I know there are several other variables it could be but bottom line I should have pressure tested the damn things before I bolted them on instead of taking someone's word. Fortunately it's still on the stand and not in the boat yet. Gonna pull them and test them if for nothing more piece of mind. If there not leaking I will troubleshoot elsewhere.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by KR252Boss
If header is leaking would a misfire be a common symptom?
Yes
Old 01-25-2015, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

hope u drained it down don't wait
Old 01-25-2015, 01:42 PM
Registered

About to go do it. Not 100% sure it's leaking but have to go see. Been sitting abouy 48 hours in climate controlled building so hopefully not enogh time to hurt anything if it did leak
Old 01-25-2015, 04:25 PM
Registered

What distributor? My MSD had a short in the pick up. The dyno operator heard it right away didn't know what it was but found it and replaced the pickup. It went away. He said it was the first time he had ever seen it.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the mayor
What distributor? My MSD had a short in the pick up. The dyno operator heard it right away didn't know what it was but found it and replaced the pickup. It went away. He said it was the first time he had ever seen it.
DUI distributor
Old 01-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Registered

Well pulled headers and water poured out of 7 of 8 primarys. These are absolute garbage and just further teaching me you cant atke anybodys word for ****!! Shame on me for not pressure testing myself and putting them om my brand new motor!! Spun the motor over to get moisture out of cylinders. Pumped oil in the spark plug holes and spun it over some more. Hopefully didnt hurt anything. No signs of water in oil so thats good I guess
Old 01-25-2015, 06:46 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

We are very close. Your headers and blocked needed to be drained. We had 16 degrees a couple of times now and a couple days not above 32 in a row. I have seen 2 engines hurt already from not winterizing. Just saying. Good that you pulled spark plugs out and turn the motor over, then fog the heck out of each cylinder. I never store any exhaust manifolds / risers or headers especially CMI's for long periods with water in the jackets even in warm climates. Good luck John

Last edited by BUP; 01-25-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.