Backwards sea pump

Notices

Backwards sea pump

Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Why not use a crank driven pump?
Dry sump mandrel will not allow. Can't use cam driven cause I have a front mount distributor.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Which merc sea pump do you want to run backwards .The older plastic housing pump ..or newer bronze housing. The plastic housing pumps are made to run either direction ,just swapping the inlet and outlet hose depending on rotation .
Old 01-27-2015, 07:37 AM
Registered

Seeing as I already have a plastic merc, brass merc and a dual stage KPM pump. I think I'm gonna go with a single stage Keith Eickert stainless pump...
Old 01-27-2015, 10:50 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Most crank mounted sea water pumps are RPM limited before they start to cavitate. Volvo Penta has forever used crank mounted sea water pumps until their LS 6.0 engine - they spin that motor at 6000 rpms and had to change their crank mounted pump to a big pulley and belt driven pump located on the front port side of the engine.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a picture of your setup Black Baja? Just wondering if you could space the pump away from the engine enough to clear your pan easier than flipping it around, or drop it under the pan?
Old 01-27-2015, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I've run them backwards on a reverse rotation motor. As long as the pulley spins it will pump.

Last edited by f_inscreenname; 01-27-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Registered

Sorry Randy as of right now the pieces to the motor are in three different States. It's really not a big deal to flip the pump and it will make it much easier running the water to the coolers and back into the motor. I have lots of room in front of the motor I can literally sit down in the Bildge in front of the motor so that's not of any concern. If I get some spare time in the next few weeks I'll mock it up on a spare block and post some pics.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

What about moving it to the other side of the engine. I've done that before in some twin engine cats where the engine was really close to the tunnel.
Eddie
Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
What about moving it to the other side of the engine. I've done that before in some twin engine cats where the engine was really close to the tunnel.
Eddie
Idea went through my head. Then what do I do with the dry sump pump? I was thinking drive the oil pump off the Jesel belt because they make a drive but I don't think I could run the front mount distributor... I don't know ill try to call Jesel and maybe re-visit that idea.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, didn't realize it was dry sump.
Hardin has a dry sump pump mount to go on the other side. I've used it before as well. I think it was originally done for 36 Nortech cats. That's what I used it on. One engine had the water pump and dry sump pump where they normally go, and the other engine had them the reverse of that so that the water pump was away from the tunnel and on the outsides of the boat.

Last edited by Young Performance; 01-28-2015 at 02:16 PM.