Notices

A/F Ratio

Old 01-31-2015, 08:51 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Precision
Not on everyone's dyno. ;-) I make pulls at different throttle positions to verify that the tune up is right. I have seen a few different carbs come in with tuneups that have caused motors to melt down at cruise. They were right at WOT but 19:1 at partial.
Yes, I agree. When we tuned my S/C mustang did about 6 or 8 pulls tweaking at low rpms working towards wot. Then another 3 or 4 at wfo tweaking that. Almost 40 k on that setup. So unbelivably reliable, only 6 psi and as I recall kept the A/F just below 12:1. Traded extra power for reliability.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are running NA engines at 13.3 -13.5 AFR at 6500-6800 RPM with about a 9.3 to 1 CR. We have never had any signs of detonation. Even at the 13.3-13.5 range the plugs are still mostly black. In my experience, a 12.5 to 12.8 AFR for a low compression NA marine engines is over safe and makes the transom black and wastes fuel.

Last edited by BenPerfected; 02-01-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:11 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, probably agree with that. But my mustang is 10 to 1 and we can only get 91 octane up here. The only time I once in a while will get a little pinging is in 5th gear low rpm on the back side of the power curve and you get into it. Don't know about the canned tune that whipple does on the 500 efi kit but that's what I plan on running