Garage door issue... >

Garage door issue...

Notices

Garage door issue...

Old 02-15-2015, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Garage door issue...

Ok...not something normally found on a boating forum but since we reach a large cross section of boaters from all over...here goes.

We have a two car garage with a Liftmaster Garage Door opener that like most others, uses a laser beam across the opening to prevent the door from closing in the event something crosses the beam while the door is closing. Over the past few days at about the same time every morning the door won't close as if something is interrupting the light beam. In each case there is nothing in the path of the beam.

Understand this is a new issue and has never happened before. Now get this...in the afternoon...the damn thing works !!! It works at night also...just not in the mornings between 8 & 10. I thought about the sun and it's unique angle this time of year so I tried standing in different positions to cast a shadow on the light receiver that gets direct sunlight...makes no difference. I have tried re positioning the location of the beam with no effect.

We have only had this happen this past weekend...usually we are up and away early during the week so we don't have the sun up and everything works fine. Even though here in SE Florida we have beautiful sunny weather this time of year as compared to most other parts of the country, we still have the same short days and long nights until March 21st when the days start getting longer than the nights. This doesn't happen during the summer when it is daylight when we leave.

Has anyone else ever experienced this and have any ideas as to how to remedy this situation?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try giving it a helping hand as it closes, if that works then its time for a little maintenance. I have a screw drive that doesn't like to close when it's cold.

Last edited by buck35; 02-15-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does not begin to close or doesn't close all the way? Using the wired switch or remote?
Old 02-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I had that problem at my old shop but it was the sun and when I shielded that side where the sun came in low the prob went away. it does not take much light to trigger the sensor and its the direction i believe that does it and sunlight rays are nearly parallel at that distance. it was seasonal and at times it was bad enough I had to bypass the sensor. another solution would be to rotate your property and buildings about 90 degrees
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-15-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't even want them things coming into play so I mounted them facing each other on the two pieces of angle that the motor unit hangs from. Done.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That ^^^^
Old 02-16-2015, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Send me a plane ticket and I`ll open the door for you, dam -9 this morning.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck35
Try giving it a helping hand as it closes, if that works then its time for a little maintenance. I have a screw drive that doesn't like to close when it's cold.
Nope...it starts down and then stops and heads back up...regardless of whether I pull on it or not.

As for cold...how about 55* LOL
Old 02-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
I had that problem at my old shop but it was the sun and when I shielded that side where the sun came in low the prob went away. it does not take much light to trigger the sensor and its the direction i believe that does it and sunlight rays are nearly parallel at that distance. it was seasonal and at times it was bad enough I had to bypass the sensor. another solution would be to rotate your property and buildings about 90 degrees
Dave...makes sense to me...but this morning at 8:30 I had no problem at all....my fiance left at 9 and all was well. But when I went by the house at 9:35 for a few minutes and left at 9:45...no workie!!!

It's definitely the sun...guess I'll have to come up with a way to shield it....maybe a toilet paper spool or something similar...I don't know...
Old 02-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masi242
Send me a plane ticket and I`ll open the door for you, dam -9 this morning.
Come on...that 242 needs a "Warm Up" any way...LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.