Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

might be a 2001
Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The MPI 350 5.7 since 1996 to current has used 4 different ignition set ups. Year and correct engine serial # is important. This seems to be classic by boat owners not knowing this. All parts and engine set ups along with service procedures go off of engine serial #'s - model year does help but not 100 %.

If your posted serial # range is correct - U might have a bad ignition sensor assembly. 87-892150Q02 I have about a 100 of them all brand new and all OEM if you need one, also have the OEM service manual for sale as well.

Word of warning do not buy junk online ignition components for your marine engines. Yes they are cheaper but there has been a huge knock off companies from the Asian market selling cheap junk thru the US. Also carb rebuild kits have been copied. I promise, I know, have seen it first hand including the carb kits.

OM300000 and up started with the HVS and ECM 555. Hopefully u posted the correct serial # range of your app. If not the HVS ignition set up does not use a ignition sensor FYI.

Last edited by BUP; 03-04-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 PM
BUP
Banned

Are saying that you installed a new ignition sensor assembly under the rotor as well ? If so you need to make sure that you connected the black wire (ground) from the sensor to a good clean unpainted ground. To test this use a jumper lead from the sensor black lead (ground) then connect the other end to your battery ground, If you engine has spark / and starts - you know it was the ground connection from your ignition sensor. if you do not still have spark it could be a junk sensor or something else. You will need to report back.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the ignition assembly with the same one that you are speaking about. That is the one the service bulletin talks about. Before i posted the serial # range, I looked at all the diagrams on the engine numbers that was posted, and they looked correct. I compared the few parts I have replaced with the part numbers I had. They were all correct.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Are saying that you installed a new ignition sensor assembly under the rotor as well ? If so you need to make sure that you connected the black wire (ground) from the sensor to a good clean unpainted ground. To test this use a jumper lead from the sensor black lead (ground) then connect the other end to your battery ground, If you engine has spark / and starts - you know it was the ground connection from your ignition sensor. if you do not still have spark it could be a junk sensor or something else. You will need to report back.
I have done this. And also, I did use an ohm meter to insure a proper ground. After that did not work, I also did re-install the old on that was still working and still nothing. I also was thinking I had a defective part.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Registered

We are a new sponsor of OffShoreOnly.com. Please see our performance Dyna-Module for this application:
http://performancedistributors.com/p...d-distributor/
Old 03-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Registered

Here ya go a fairly good file on either 555 or mefi

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3w...Z2s/edit?pli=1
Old 03-04-2015, 01:18 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by PerfDist
We are a new sponsor of OffShoreOnly.com. Please see our performance Dyna-Module for this application:
http://performancedistributors.com/p...d-distributor/
Wrong distributor but nice you are a sponsor.
This question has always been in my mind, but never asked, so here's a good time to ask.
What country of origin are your parts ?
Old 03-04-2015, 01:34 PM
BUP
Banned

That's correct about the module being wrong ignition set up for this app from the OP. Also it would be good to cross the years on the marine side of what your module could be installed for replacement..

Thanks and I always talk to you guys at PRI every year and you have been helpful there as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.