350 mag mpi no spark >

350 mag mpi no spark

Notices

350 mag mpi no spark

Old 03-08-2015, 09:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Says boat started after changing back to old coil, I forgot to ask does your tach work and is working correctly now when the engine running ?

Really completely lost my train of thought as seeing the Super Freak video in the other post. Still laughing.

Last edited by BUP; 03-08-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coil was purchased at a local (not mercury dealer) shop. It was a Sierra. The local dealer said they did not have one in stock. I will be letting him know about the bad coil. I will be ordering a mercruiser coil from the dealer to replace the old one. It has signs of corrosion. Tach. seemed to be reading correctly. Steady, no erratic readings.
BUP you asked about a Serial number. I went through the paperwork and found the original engine was a OL650168. The engine was replaced as I said earlier. I found a tag with the camera snake I bought. The new engine is a Marine Power model# B350S Serial# 1516. I hope this answers many questions about what this engine has or is. I did take pictures. Can't figure out how to post them on here.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:54 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I really wanted to know about the defected coil as who's was it. The ignition sensors and those ignition modules like what SB posted along with distrib caps and not properly sized rotors are becoming a big problem from cheap parts sources. Also marine carb rebuild kits are just getting started and do not have perfectly matched parts in the kits. The ignition parts portion for the marine end is becoming a big problem from online sellers to some of what is carried by a few marine shops. Glad your tach was always working. Bad coil, no spark and no tach - yep that would be the problem.

IMO you probably had a bad ignition sensor at first, then let me guess you changed all of that including cap, rotor, COIL, spark plugs all at the same time. You fixed the no spark condition form the ign. sensor but the new coil was bad - hence still looked like there was more to the no spark problem. Anyways just saying.

Last edited by BUP; 03-09-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to extend a big thank you for everyone's input on this subject. This is a update. The second new coil came in on the 13th i installed it in the boat on the 15th and it ran on the trailer. I finally got the time and the weather was cooperating on this past weekend to take the boat out for a spin. It operated properly. Thanks again!