Oil filter...

Notices

Oil filter...

Old 03-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Devil's advocate with a note that I like all the information given:

Anybody ever lose a boat motor because the oil filter didn't filter fine enough ?
Good question. But how would you know?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the deep
Oil pan after 300 hrs of use using the Wix Racing filter . Looks pretty clean and all bearings were in great shape .

Uh you do realize that we are talking in terms of particles that the human eye can't see right?!
The following users liked this post:
jeffswav (05-02-2022)
Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 385 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
When I tore my engine down and the internals still looked great it certainly didn't tell me my oil filter sucked . I've always used the Wix Racing filter . That don't mean it's the best , just means it didn't suck .
Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Bearings would tell a good story.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the deep
When I tore my engine down and the internals still looked great it certainly didn't tell me my oil filter sucked . I've always used the Wix Racing filter . That don't mean it's the best , just means it didn't suck .
In all fairness, I don't think anyone said it sucked, I said 60um filtration is pretty lousy, and it is. Were the bearings measured or just visually inspected upon teardown? Better filtration is never a bad thing, as it's been proven by GM, FORD, CAT, John Deer, Allison.... Essentially companies who have invested millions of R&D hours into the benefits of increased filtration efficiency. IMO a filter providing around 60um efficiency would only go on a "racing engine", one that sees frequent tear downs. That's just me.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by chrisf695
Uh you do realize that we are talking in terms of particles that the human eye can't see right?!
I guess my point was engines don't remain in good running order for that long if your filter is not doing a good enough job . I retract the pan .
Old 03-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

In all fairness, I don't think anyone said it sucked, I said 60um filtration is pretty lousy, and it is. Were the bearings measured or just visually inspected upon teardown? Better filtration is never a bad thing, as it's been proven by GM, FORD, CAT, John Deer, Allison.... Essentially companies who have invested millions of R&D hours into the benefits of increased filtration efficiency. IMO a filter providing around 60um efficiency would only go on a "racing engine", one that sees frequent tear downs. That's just me.
I will be going to a new filter for the new engine . Not to proud to learn something .
Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

point taken , what filter does an excellent job without being overly restrictive?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I read somewhere that the majority of engine wear comes from particles in your oil that were smaller than 5 microns. No clue if it was true but it made sense.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:21 PM
Registered

point taken , what filter does an excellent job without being overly restrictive?
Either the K&N part number HP3002 or Royal Purple 1218. Both have very high flow and excellent micron ratings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.