private sellers opinion on buyer wanting survey >

private sellers opinion on buyer wanting survey

Notices

private sellers opinion on buyer wanting survey

Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts
Default private sellers opinion on buyer wanting survey

With some of the recent transactions I thought it would be inteesting asking private sellers how they feel about prospective buyers wanting full surveys done to include engine mechanical. We all tell buyers to get surveys but I recently read a owner posting he would tell a buyer to go away if that buyer wanted a survey. I'm sure there are many of you out there that know you equipment is in great operating condition yet engines have been know to fail shortly after that statement is made. So :

1. If a buyer and you reached a sale price dependant on a survey results and a deposit was placed would you allow a full survey on your boat that's for sale ?
Old 03-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would laugh at said seller and walk away. Cash is king and the king makes the rules.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:02 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If a seller won't allow a survey I assume he's hiding something........and he won't be getting a dime out of me.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read the same post as you. But, the guy said that the buyers mechanic wanted to remove the valve covers. I would be fine with compression and leak down....no disassembly of engine unless my mechanic did the work and buyer paid all costs.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would welcome any survey. I don't consider pulling valve covers to be a problem however, it's a bit odd. compression and leak down are normal, but I wouldn't loose a deal over someone wanting to take off valve covers. I would be right there watching the whole time or have the purchaser pay me to do it. it's a lot easier to take 4 valve covers off then part out a boat and answer thousands of other questions about parts. it's a buyers world and sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,476 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by cig92
I would welcome any survey. I don't consider pulling valve covers to be a problem however, it's a bit odd. compression and leak down are normal, but I wouldn't loose a deal over someone wanting to take off valve covers. I would be right there watching the whole time or have the purchaser pay me to do it. it's a lot easier to take 4 valve covers off then part out a boat and answer thousands of other questions about parts. it's a buyers world and sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do.
Good response
The other thing to consider is there are potential buyers who know absolutely nothing about the mechanics and inner workings of nothing. To drag something home after paying a good price for it only to find out you been had would really suck for that buyer. As long as a deposit is in place and have something drafted up and signed in which a rare case something needs to be repaired, replaced do to the inspection. Hey worse case sinerio you may find something in need of attention even if potential buyer walks. Allows you to make it right for next buyer. Some banks may require now a days also.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

I refused a buyer the opportunity of a survey about 6 years ago.

I had a Sea Ray, purchased new from the dealer here and stored under cover with the dealer. Been in the water 14 times in 2 years and had 31 hours on the clock. All documents, purchase contract ( he could see how much I was losing) service receipts, launching receipts and even fuel slips, all from the dealer.

He pushed me very hard on price then when we finally agreed he asked for a survey in two weeks time when his friend was in town. Apparently he didn't believe the boat was genuine, didn't believe the boat could be as new after 2 years, which means he didn't trust the Sea Ray dealer or myself. I told him what to do with his cash!

He came back and bought the boat, paid cash In a couple of days.

There can always be unusual circumstances but generally speaking, vendors should happily welcome a survey at the owners expense. Nothing to hide.

RR
Old 03-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I have bought or sold I have always had a survey done. No big deal. Sale has always been subject to a survey and water trial.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I always tell a buyer that if they cant look at the boat themselves then they have to send someone to look at it in their place and I don't care who it is as long as they answer to the buyer. Don't want to get into a pissing match over what they thought they did or didn't see in pictures and such. You want to do a full blown survey then you have to pay for it and do it when I can (I'm available most times) but again I must be there. As for taking things apart......no. If it's made to open or has a wing nut on it then sure. You have to pull out a screwdriver or socket set ... stay home.
I've been through a few pro surveys and all that was asked drive train wise was for it to be taken out and take it up to the spec wot rpm. They looked at gauges and took notes but that's about it. Never been asked to do more and I guess that's a good thing.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago I sold a 271 Fastech, guy wanted a survey and wanted me to pay. Told him No, come look at the boat, bring your pro, I'll start the boat then winterize again(Ice still on the lake). If you still want a survey you pay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.