Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap? >

Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?

Notices

Fuel/water separator, can I drill and tap?

Old 03-22-2015, 07:49 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Those are good prices for the wix filter and the mount that MT posted - will have to say it is wise to take a inspection mirror or take the mount completely off for inspection of aluminum oxide it is a form of corrosion more so now with the current fuels. A couple of things with this from of corrosion is it is a white powdery substance - one it jacks up fuel injectors, or passages in the carb, Second is it even forms on the sealing surface in which makes for a poor seal causing air into the fuel system causing lean conditions.

If anyone is interested I found my pics of the older models of the OEM fuel filter mounts to better show you about wasting your time drilling them out plus drilling for a 3/8 NPT fitting- it gets pretty thin for the depth needed. If you want I can send them to someone and they can post the pics up here. If not no big deal and less time n& work for me to.

Last edited by BUP; 03-22-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
While you can drill and tap the stock 1/4" mount that you have. Sierra offers both a SS and an aluminum version that is already 3/8". It looks identical to the one you have and will mount up exactly the same. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think the SS version is #18-7776. It is around $50.
Eddie
I have the Sierra SS 3/8" mount. It is very nice and a good price. I drilled the internal passages on mine to the same ID as -10 fuel line. Was real easy. I also plumbed it with 3/8 pipe thread Stainless steel fittings which I also drilled out to -10 size.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Those are good prices for the wix filter and the mount that MT posted - will have to say it is wise to take a inspection mirror or take the mount completely off for inspection of aluminum oxide it is a form of corrosion more so now with the current fuels. A couple of things with this from of corrosion is it is a white powdery substance - one it jacks up fuel injectors, or passages in the carb, Second is it even forms on the sealing surface in which makes for a poor seal causing air into the fuel system causing lean conditions.

If anyone is interested I found my pics of the older models of the OEM fuel filter mounts to better show you about wasting your time drilling them out plus drilling for a 3/8 NPT fitting- it gets pretty thin for the depth needed. If you want I can send them to someone and they can post the pics up here. If not no big deal and less time n& work for me to.
I've seen that white substance in some marine carbs I've had apart. Could it be from the aluminum fuel tanks as well?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Joe 99 % of rec boats especially currently have plastic tanks and it is very common with aluminum oxide formation.

I have so many pics of this because I test fuel injectors & clean them so I have my dealer base make sure everything in the fuel system is spotless 100 % because the injectors had all this oxide debris in them time and time again.

hence clean injectors at engine start up collects all the white powdery all over again. I show the pics of parts that have formation of aluminum oxide and most miss under the filter mount. It is on the outlet side past the filter on its way to the carb or injectors.

Mechanical fuel pumps are bad with aluminum oxide internally. Have those pics to.

Last edited by BUP; 03-22-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Joe 99 % of rec boats especially currently have plastic tanks and it is very common I have so many pics of this because I test fuel injectors & clean them so I have my dealer base make sure everything in the fuel system is spotless 100 % because the injectors had all this debris in them hence clean injectors at engine start up collects all the white powdery all over again. I show them pics and most miss under the filter mount. It is on the outlet side past the filter on its way to the carb or injectors.

Mechanical fuel pumps are bad with aluminum oxide internally. Have those pics to.
Gotcha. Most boats I've been around, Fountains, cigs, scarabs, etc, all have had aluminum fuel tanks. Are the new offshore boats using plastic tanks these days?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:39 PM
BUP
Banned

I am in fresh water and 95 % boat apps I work on are fresh water.

I know a lot of it has to do with E-10 fuel and IMO this is part of the problem as well. The quality of the metal & the process of these parts are made/ Also barb fittings turn green and the corrosion formation on them that passes thru also.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:47 PM
BUP
Banned

EPA is going to make all builders use these new tanks and a lot of fuel tank parts as well like demand valves and carbon canisters - all cat engines boats have this already installed. the new plastic tanks are rated at low permeation and have liner coated to them. I have installed a lot of stuff already. The fuel lines all have change to meet EPA low permeation in which all started in 2010.

Even the fuel fills are different now, It is coming to the high performance end. The CAT system is still up in the air for over 500 hp. It all has to do with carbon credits from the marine engine manufacturers. Meaning that they have so many that meet or beat the emission control that they can still make non CAT engines meaning the High Performance engines no CATS.

Outboards are next for the CAT system. It has been in testing for 5 years that I know of. The failure of CAT is the holding part of it back among other issues.

Last edited by BUP; 03-22-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Registered

That is extremely depressing! ^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-22-2015, 09:03 PM
BUP
Banned

Here is the new set up and Attwood supplies a lot of the rec boat builders. link below and watch the videos. All CAT engine builders have to meet this set up. Outboard boats have changed as well.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/c.../system-design
Old 03-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what could possibly go wrong here....thunder have seen the same stuff in carbs I've had apart as well...seems has to come from the E10 and started showing up when that did as well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.