Kohler 5E - Genset Help >

Kohler 5E - Genset Help

Notices

Kohler 5E - Genset Help

Old 04-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kohler 5E - Genset Help

During the summerization process this weekend, I discovered something obviously cracked (heat exchanger) over the winter filling the cylinders of my genset full of water. I am thinking for times sake, rather than rebuild the engine I would purchase a new one. Does anyone have any experience in taking a normal Kawasaki FD501D and "marinizing" it? Looks like these parts are coming harder to find and Kohler no longer wants to support it.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Real go fast boats dont have generators.... you sure your on the right website? You should just toss that thing in the trash and go by a new one. Or you could use a Honda 2000 generator from northern tool and mount it in the engine compartment (just make sure you run your bilge blowers), or you could take it out and mount like 10 group 27 batteries on that shelf and get yourself a big ass harbo freight inverter to use when you wanna make popcorn with your microwave (go fast boats dont have microwaves by the way)...
Old 04-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Registered

Who said anything about go fasts?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Registered

Thats what I meant by the "right web site" maybe you should try the Hull Truth or something... it is a .38 special after all
Old 04-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by whodathought38SS
Real go fast boats dont have generators.... you sure your on the right website? You should just toss that thing in the trash and go by a new one. Or you could use a Honda 2000 generator from northern tool and mount it in the engine compartment (just make sure you run your bilge blowers), or you could take it out and mount like 10 group 27 batteries on that shelf and get yourself a big ass harbo freight inverter to use when you wanna make popcorn with your microwave (go fast boats dont have microwaves by the way)...
Really??? Tell me more

Old 04-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jamontes
Who said anything about go fasts?
Try a john Deere dealer. Same engine in the 93-2000s 425 lawn tractors I believe.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Registered

Endeavor, thanks for your reply. I think Juan had found several replacement engine sources online like you have suggested. His concern is centered around the statement by all of those sites that use of their engines in a kohler marine application was not warranted. That got him concerned on what was done to "marinizing one"...

And as you can tell I was just feeding him useless crap until someone with real info to share chimed in
Old 04-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by whodathought38SS
Endeavor, thanks for your reply. I think Juan had found several replacement engine sources online like you have suggested. His concern is centered around the statement by all of those sites that use of their engines in a kohler marine application was not warranted. That got him concerned on what was done to "marinizing one"...

And as you can tell I was just feeding him useless crap until someone with real info to share chimed in

I believe white paint Marinizes them... Lol. I get parts for my 5E at the Deere dealer. They said it's the same motor.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Registered

Good to know, that's what we were thinking. thanks again!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:15 AM
Registered

Thanks Whodathought for the ribbing... I'll keep in mind what a bad idea it is to have a microwave next time you wake up hung over and need breakfast. Enjoy your hot plate bro! BTW - I need to borrow your forklift to pull this thing out.

Endeavor1 - What I have been researching tells me there is not any difference in the mower or marine version, but I did see something specific to the FD501D regarding a tapered crankshaft. Guess I will call JD today and get the low down.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.