Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2 power steering pumps or just 1? >

2 power steering pumps or just 1?

Notices

2 power steering pumps or just 1?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 power steering pumps or just 1?

So the motors I pulled out of my 33OL each had a power steering pump but the port side was only circulating fluid to and from the cooler and nothing else. Now the motors I'm about to drop in didn't come with any power steering. So should I put both pumps on to keep the weight of the boat level or just the one that was actually working on starboard engine and install the amps on the port side by the galley hoping they keep the weight even?

I recently saw a guy selling 2 beautiful 450hp engines and only one had power steering.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

My 33 was the same, If your running the a serpentine belt system you need the pump in place or rig it with a pump delete kit, your boat wont go any faster with it removed or make the boat list
Old 04-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And no problem limping home if need be on the non power steering motor. It just steers a bit harder. I have been in this situation a couple times and completely doable!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A recent thread brought up a good point for having two that if an engine or drive problem pops up you still have power steering.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Leave it on. If you lose a motor it WILL be the PS equipped engine. That day will almost always include a heavy crosswind, tons of marina traffic and a water patrol officer while your trying to get it docked or on a trailer. Murphy's law. Been there a time or two
Old 04-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Leave it on. If you lose a motor it WILL be the PS equipped engine. That day will almost always include a heavy crosswind, tons of marina traffic and a water patrol officer while your trying to get it docked or on a trailer. Murphy's law. Been there a time or two
same here when my drive broke. i ended up just leaving the engine running in neutral just so i could have the ps when i got back to the dock (2.5 hrs later).
Old 04-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
same here when my drive broke. i ended up just leaving the engine running in neutral just so i could have the ps when i got back to the dock (2.5 hrs later).
Come into pb2 on 1 engine, in a crosswind, during a bass tournament loading time in a 46 Black Thunder.... And On fire. That gets REAL, quick

Last edited by endeavor1; 04-21-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 04-21-2015, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanfuego
So the motors I pulled out of my 33OL each had a power steering pump but the port side was only circulating fluid to and from the cooler and nothing else. Now the motors I'm about to drop in didn't come with any power steering. So should I put both pumps on to keep the weight of the boat level or just the one that was actually working on starboard engine and install the amps on the port side by the galley hoping they keep the weight even?

I recently saw a guy selling 2 beautiful 450hp engines and only one had power steering.
Are they pumps with dip sticks in the top? if so you cant run two of them without having a common reservoir would need to buy the caps for the top and plum it the rite way. If you try running two it will pump out of the top of one when its running.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The one pump is not plumbed up, it's just free wheeling. Just sayin'
Old 04-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
The one pump is not plumbed up, it's just free wheeling. Just sayin'
Yeah, if it's the type that doesn't have a shared reservoir and it isn't plumbed into the other side like mine even if he leaves it and the other side that is powering the system quits he still won't have any power steering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.