Wierd tuning issue with Whipple engine - Holley ecu >

Wierd tuning issue with Whipple engine - Holley ecu

Notices

Wierd tuning issue with Whipple engine - Holley ecu

Old 05-03-2015, 01:28 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Just curious, what was wrong with the Fast ecu that made you change to the Holley ?
Old 05-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing really. It was one of the original units. Lots more bells and whistles on the new stuff. Self tuning and knock sensor were some of the desirable features the customer wanted.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:54 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Current fuel injectors themselves have come along way also compared to years ago, EV 1, Multecs and so on. Not very reliable.

The current ECU's / ECM's are way better than older units. Far more capabilities along with more precisely received inputs and controlled ECM outputs.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:52 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Current fuel injectors themselves have come along way also compared to years ago, EV 1, Multecs and so on. Not very reliable.

The current ECU's / ECM's are way better than older units. Far more capabilities along with more precisely received inputs and controlled ECM outputs.
I run the XFI 2.0, I was just curious.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Registered

This was the first edition FAST. Way before XFI. It was very dependable.

Originally Posted by GPM
I run the XFI 2.0, I was just curious.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:27 PM
GPM
Registered

I ran those also
Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
This is the Whipple throttle body with 8 injectors mounted in it. The IAT is below the intercooler. FYI, this setup has been running for 10 years trouble free. So I don't suspect a problem with any setup issues. Problem just surfaced after rebuilding the engine with new heads, cam and the Holley ECU. Previously ran a FAST. Still kind of fine tuning with the new ECU and thus ran across this scenario. I guess it's possible the condition always existed but the tune was different on the FAST so it didn't manifest itself. What really triggered the investigation was it would go lean and backfire. What I found out was because it was in closed loop the ECU was seeing the momentary "false" rich condition and removing fuel. When the rich condition clears it would be too lean. Turning off closed loop cleared this issue, so I could then see what was really happening. Hope this makes sense.

S30-
Regulator is boost referenced from the base of the intake and return is to the filter head.

Bob
how bigs the cam?is this a single engine boat?when this happens,are you trying to get on plane?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Registered

Cam is 250/258 114 lsa, .680 lift. 555 Cu. In.. Exhaust is Dana with custom tails that exit the corners(Nordic Heat). Water jacketed quite a ways before dumping. Single engine boat and yes gently advancing throttle to get on plane.

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
how bigs the cam?is this a single engine boat?when this happens,are you trying to get on plane?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

What about AE (acceleration enrichment) parameters? Are they triggered differently or at different rates as compared to the old system? I know they are not typically time dependent but might be worth looking into.

Like you I would suspect fuel pooling during extended idle. Will it still stumble with an idle to WOT hammering or just slow roll into the throttle after the 2 minute idle period?
Old 05-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Registered

Appreciate the replies. I tried slowing AE but didn't make any difference, nor would I really expect it to. You can move the throttle to that point and it's the same even not moving the throttle. Also, keeping in mind the pulse width is not increasing during the rich period so it appears to me the ecu is not commanding more fuel, which you should see if it were an AE condition for whatever reason. No hammering the throttle (1000 HP and Bravo). Moving the throttle quicker doesn't seem to make any difference.

Originally Posted by Trash
What about AE (acceleration enrichment) parameters? Are they triggered differently or at different rates as compared to the old system? I know they are not typically time dependent but might be worth looking into.

Like you I would suspect fuel pooling during extended idle. Will it still stumble with an idle to WOT hammering or just slow roll into the throttle after the 2 minute idle period?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.