Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-24-2015, 01:13 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

with all this testing make sure you have a 100 % good battery - hooked very well and no grounding issues. Negative back side connection very tight - clean and free of any corrosion. Also all battery cable need to be the correct size per the length runs.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news... Now the timing cover is pissing oil. I told my dad we needed to drop the pan, but he was stubborn and didn't listen, so now the engine is coming back out anyway.

I'll do those tests today BUP... But seriously I just want the guy who sold me the Injextors to pick up the phone and resolve the problem, then I'm probably just carburating it. I think I'm ready to give up.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
forget this, scan tool hooked to DLC. ignition OFF unhook MAP connector - turn ignition on BUT DO NOT START ENGINE.

Is MAP sensor voltage less than 1 volt ? if NO possible short in circuit from ECM J2-27 to MAP terminal B. If all of that is good and no corrosion - resistance - or short then possible bad ECM connection or POSSIBLE BAD ECM.
Yes .04v following this test
Old 05-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
To double confirm / check

Ignition back to OFF

again connector off at MAP sensor. Connect a DVOM to the harness terminals A & C - then turn ignition ON but do not start. Is the MAP sensor reading now above 4 volts ? if yes the again check for plugged or leaking vacuum fitting. If all good there then replace MAP sensor.

If your reading is below 4 volts possible open in the circuit from ECM j2-3 to MAP terminal A - if all of that is in great shape - no corrosion, no resistance, no breaks or shorts then POSSIBLE BAD ECM connections or POSSIBLE BAD ECM.
Yes - reading is 5.01 volts from terminal A-C
Old 05-24-2015, 01:40 PM
BUP
Banned

OK I just seen your scan - and your injector pulse width is way off by far. yours is .9 MSEC and it needs to be 2 to 3 MSEC.

I did not see injector on time cranking parameters ? they should 2.5 to 3,5 MSECS depending on air temp.

Also tell me what your outside temp was when running this scan - was it in the 60's degree range ?

next you have wrong application or bad injectors and or faulty MAP or any of its connections or possible vac leak badly. OR you have a possible bad ECM.

Also its looks like your engine is not fully warming up - it shows 143 degree. This app should have 160 degree t stat and needs to be fully warmed up doing the scan, Fully warmed up is above 150 degrees. range is 155 to 175 to be ideal.

Last edited by BUP; 05-24-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Registered

BUP, it was in the mid to high 60's. The engine doesn't really want to warm up past that temp at idle. It does go to around 155 and that's it.

I swapped map sensors to the old one, and had the same result. I know it's the right ecm, and the right code since that hasn't changed and it ran great last year.

Can BOTH of these MAP's be bad?? I thought map sensors can be distorted by poor running conditions? The vent going into the TBI seems clear. I can blow through it with no problem.

Pulse width at cranking is 2.9 right now with a semi warm engine (129 degrees)
Old 05-24-2015, 01:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Yeah but your injector pulse width at idle speed is only .9 MSEC - IT NEEDS TO BE HIGHER THAN THAT 2 to 3 MSEC.

- it shows your engine to be 145 degrees close but really needs to be over 150. Close enough for this testing. -

it showed manifold temp was close to 63 degrees so good there also TPS voltage was .71 in which is good - spec is .4 to .8 volts.

Injector pulse width on both banks are .9 MSEC and that is poor my friend.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Registered

But how is pulse with adjusted/recorded? It's incependent of the injdctors right? It's calculated by the computer?
Old 05-24-2015, 02:14 PM
BUP
Banned

Post 325 has some of the answers - its all controlled - the ECm needs to receive correct inputs so it can give back the correct outputs - one of the reasons why an ECM is called a controller as well. Also if the ECm is receiving all the correct inputs and has no ground or short issues externally then the ECM can be faulty. Your answers lies IMO in post 325.

Last edited by BUP; 05-24-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
OK I just seen your scan - and your injector pulse width is way off by far. yours is .9 MSEC and it needs to be 2 to 3 MSEC.

I did not see injector on time cranking parameters ? they should 2.5 to 3,5 MSECS depending on air temp.

Also tell me what your outside temp was when running this scan - was it in the 60's degree range ?

next you have wrong application or bad injectors and or faulty MAP or any of its connections or possible vac leak badly. OR you have a possible bad ECM.

Also its looks like your engine is not fully warming up - it shows 143 degree. This app should have 160 degree t stat and needs to be fully warmed up doing the scan, Fully warmed up is above 150 degrees. range is 155 to 175 to be ideal.
Bup did you see the map voltage's

[email protected] volts pulse 09ms
1639prm @086volts pulse 09ms
1777rpm @ 094 volts pulse 09ms

Those are not only at half of normal values but going backwards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.