Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-07-2015, 10:27 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Side reality humour:

Worked on a carbureted mildly 'Hot' Trans Am today. Cleaned carb and then applied my carb tweaks.

Was a relief as I love carburetors. Won't ever hide that fact. LOL.

Last edited by SB; 05-07-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I was not reffering to SB at all as I remember 1 time and 1 time only he made a post last year about he was a poster on another site as CFM actually someone else asked him if that was him. heck SB even called himself (his words) in the post a azzhole. I really do have good memory.

I was asking about your marina how di know - the reason why, a fuel injection cleaning testing service can test and clean your injectors all day long to the cows come home. Then turn around and give them back to the customer or even techs to become recontaminated just as bad as they came in for. Owners and or techs need to clean their entire fuel system 100 % before the injectors see fuel again. Example the gas tank, all fuel lines & fuel rails, install new fuel filters plus clean all fuel filter mounts and cool fuel cells internally cleaned to prevent the same issue again. If any of these parts can not become perfectly cleaned or not up to snuff , a new replacement should be installed. Just saying

I believe SB has a Fuel injection / fuel induction business if I stand corrected.

Last edited by BUP; 05-08-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:07 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

For this app Volvo Penta specs are 29 psi + or -2 psi for the high pressure fuel pump at the fitting and 8 psi + or - 4 psi for the low pressure pump.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SB, I did order a new coolant temp sensor from Napa. I will get the part # off both. The MAP I ordered is a standard motor products one from rock auto.

So these injectors are getting hard to find then after all Huh? My Marina warned me about this. Maybe I should buy a pair just to have then.

I have to tell you, I chose between this boat, and one with a thunderbolt carbed Merc... Man... Now I wish I had that carburetor lol! Once it's running again I will retract that statement.

BUP - all 70 gallons of my tank is from November. I replaced the fuel filter twice, and when taking the tbi apart twice I found no contamination. It is possible that some of that fuel pump goop clogged them up before I cleaned the pump out (no longer an issue). But if that was the case I would have expected it to fail the second flow test. Unless they disnt really test it other than a visual. It was free after all... I offered to pay but they wouldn't let me.

Should I invest in the diacom? Would be nice to have around I suppose.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Registered

Are you sure you have fuel and not water and have you verified the timing is correct.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:00 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I'm not a fan of NAPA brand electronics. Yes, I have a NAPA store across the street from me.
NAPA does sell Delphi...which I use for a ton of GM stuff as they are an OE to GM.

Anyway, I can get a pair of those TJ11 injectors for Monday morning and can send them out to you UPS on Monday. You'll have them Tues or Wed.

If they change things, great, if not, you can send them back to me.

You are at the point of just changing things, and that usually just costs time, money, and a lot of irreplaceable hair.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I'm not a fan of NAPA brand electronics. Yes, I have a NAPA store across the street from me.
NAPA does sell Delphi...which I use for a ton of GM stuff as they are an OE to GM.

Anyway, I can get a pair of those TJ11 injectors for Monday morning and can send them out to you UPS on Monday. You'll have them Tues or Wed.

If they change things, great, if not, you can send them back to me.

You are at the point of just changing things, and that usually just costs time, money, and a lot of irreplaceable hair.
Lol, I know! Okay that sounds great. Do you have my CC info on file still? I will PM you.

I will call NAPA and try to get Delphi stuff.

Any chance there could be something wrong with my TBI? If it holds 30 psi, my diaphragm should be working right? Its my second diaphragm. They are not leaking, although the top gasket appears to be dark as if its fuel soaked. Not sure if that was just due to the oil I used on the o-rings to assemble them.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by raisingkane
Are you sure you have fuel and not water and have you verified the timing is correct.

I am sure I have fuel, since I used the same fuel out of my fuel cell / tank to dump in the engine.

And I used a timing light to get it as close as I could while cranking. I installed the distributor the exact same way, both were marked. I think the timing is pretty close since it starts up fine with extra fuel.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Registered

Testing a map is incredibly simply. While im not familiar with mefi 4 your audible alarm is constant is it not? That is instead of 3 beep and run its a constant beep every 3 seconds am i right on that????

https://youtu.be/B8EVhFc5Yqw

Last edited by Pliant; 05-08-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Registered

When I turn the key on, the alarm beeps two short beeps. It has since the day I got the boat. I will take a video and post it tomorrow morning.

That being said, occasionally the alarm doesn't beep at all when I turn the key on. I was told the two beeps is normal, indicating the system is on. Not sure why it occasionally doesn't beep. It could just be the alarm.

There is nothing to the alarm that could cause it not to start right?

In case I haven't mentioned, my computer is an MEFI IV, but the boat harness is an MEFI III. I have the Volvo conversion harness between the two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.