454 mag mpi lack of power? Idles and revs fine, no miss

Old 05-24-2015, 08:18 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,091 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
[ATTACH=CONFIG]541125[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541126[/ATTACH]

oh, and rotors looked different??

The P looked older?? the S looks like the diagram, So dont know if they even changed the rotor when they replaced the engine or just a different kind? Has only 1 contact and the S has 2?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541128[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541127[/ATTACH]
Your S rotor is the common one.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D447-O...1XK9SJMYPHA7XW

Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What were the fuel pressure readings on both engines? I didn't see them posted, I apologize ahead of time if I missed them in a post.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB
The new one came like that, but it was blue... "sierra" brand.

C1000, I didnt post.. Never checked fuel pressure... Dont know how/ never did it before... How do I go about that, I assume, I will need a guage? I will google to see also...
Old 05-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C1000
What were the fuel pressure readings on both engines? I didn't see them posted, I apologize ahead of time if I missed them in a post.
Ok, I officially know how to test fuel pressure. both engines read 38 psi when keyed. P runs same at idle and when I bump it, it slightly dips to around 36psi..

Didnt do the S as I thought I read that was what it was supposed to be. (Not sure I'll ever use a fuel pressure guage again, but $45 later, I have one!)
Old 05-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
Ok, I officially know how to test fuel pressure. both engines read 38 psi when keyed. P runs same at idle and when I bump it, it slightly dips to around 36psi..

Didnt do the S as I thought I read that was what it was supposed to be. (Not sure I'll ever use a fuel pressure guage again, but $45 later, I have one!)
Ok I would suggest to leave the gauge hooked up and see were the pressure goes when under a load, and at WOT. Possibly falls off at higher rpms? don't know if it is your problem but if the pressures are ok you can then rule it out! I also think that any tool is a good investment!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
Ok I would suggest to leave the gauge hooked up and see were the pressure goes when under a load, and at WOT. Possibly falls off at higher rpms? don't know if it is your problem but if the pressures are ok you can then rule it out! I also think that any tool is a good investment!
Ok, I backed her down the launch and ran her. I filled the fuel filter 1/2 with seafoam.
She seemed to run better. I cranked up the S and pushed each throttle up to about 2500 and it seemed to have same throttle response. (in gear)

I had fuel guage hooked on P and she stayed steady at 38-40 for whatever I did. idle, throttle in Neutral and throttle in gear.

I will have to run her in the lake to see.. oh, I am getting a leak in bilge too... Just changed pivot pins so maybe I have a bellow leaking now.... oh well
Old 05-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

Well, I brought her back to launch to try to find leak.
Sons a b!Tch, its coming from the S side (where is was leaking from pin) last summer. Well, looks like it was also leaking from cable bellow!!! AAAAAHHHHHH!! I have these lil b!tches at my house. They took 3 weeks to come in when I was changing out both pivot pins!!

They looked good, so i didnt think they were leaking and put it back together as I was excited to get them back together and test steering slack..

WELL, I got back to the house and turned hard to P and trimmed up that side and some water came out the inner flex of the shift cable...

On good, note the S engine seems to be running better when I poured the coals to it on the launch! :-)