Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
what kind of boat is this >

what kind of boat is this

Notices

what kind of boat is this

Old 05-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

been doing some digging. found some cool info. here is the link to there site.http://www.glasstream.com/about.php

turns out there new boats are based of the 1988 "race" hull design, says they won the APBA Divisional Championship in Key West that year

here a video of the race. https://youtu.be/F5ZbeMN0AmA
Old 05-26-2015, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Before any cash is exchanged please at the very minimum get a battery on the engines, see if they turn over and hit them with a little starting fluid. I bought a cabin cruiser that sat for over 5 years with no issues and this was the only way I would have bought it. I heard the engines fire.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I've moved on from trying to save a fellow boater many of the same miseries that we've all gone through, to looking forward to seeing it's own new thread in the restoration section.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Sorry, double post

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 05-26-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by 250ekelly
Here some more pics. This things got a step to! Not many people were doing that in 1990.

Just looking at this first picture above, the only thing the owner has done is uncovered the boat. Hasn't cleaned anything or tried to turn an engine over and he's already had a large pizza and a beer.

How many pizzas and beers would it take to get the boat back to her original glory?

RR

P.S. I do see the appeal in the boat, undersides look great, trailer looks good but it's easier to sit and guess at all the negatives! Apologies to the O.P.

Last edited by rak rua; 05-27-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first boat was 1989 Glasstream Regatta.... 20' cuddy.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Just looking at this first picture above, the only thing the owner has done is uncovered the boat. Hasn't cleaned anything or tried to turn an engine over and he's already had a large pizza and a beer.

How many pizzas and beers would it take to get the boat back to her original glory?

RR

P.S. I do see the appeal in the boat, undersides look great, trailer looks good but it's easier to sit and guess at all the negatives! Apologies to the O.P.

Haha yea i was eating pizza and drinking beer while pretending to drive it. Im trying to leave it dirty so if the owner comes to look at it i can get it cheaper. Supposedly she's up in age this guy is selling it for her it's kind of a screwy situation. I messed up tho i accidentally fell in love with the boat. Don't worry i may be young dumb and full of cum but i won't over pay, and yes the lady says i can start it and take it out before buying.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a cool looking boat! Before starting it, I'd pull the distributors and get oil pressure with a drill motor. Mark exactly where the housing and rotor were before pulling them out and they'll go back in easy after you line up tang in the oil pump shaft. If you really stumbled on a pair of low hour mercs, to me it would be worth the effort. After you do this (AFTER distributors are back in), gently make sure they turn though a rotation by using a breaker bar on the front pulley bolt. Much easier to do this with plugs out. Randy
Old 05-27-2015, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 250ekelly
been doing some digging. found some cool info. here is the link to there site.http://www.glasstream.com/about.php

turns out there new boats are based of the 1988 "race" hull design, says they won the APBA Divisional Championship in Key West that year

here a video of the race. https://youtu.be/F5ZbeMN0AmA
Their promotional material says "A 100% wood free construction. Everything from the upholstery to the rub rail is made from non-deteriorating materials. The deck and hull are completely glassed together. The stringer system is a molded, foam filled, fiberglass grid system." You should try to contact them to find out when they started using the wood free construction. Doubtful that they were doing that way back in 1988, but if so, it would alleviate a lot of concerns about rotten wood. If you have access take a look up inside the gunwale and see if the hull to deck joint is bonded and fiberglassed, or just put together with screws. That right there will tell you a lot about the level of detail they put towards hull construction.

Looks like there are some forums on their site with some recent activity. You might try posting on there to see if you can find someone who has a similar boat. They might be able to provide some useful info.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, I am very curious about that square thing on the port side stern. It almost looks like some kind of heat exchanger. What is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.