Cam intensity question >

Cam intensity question

Notices

Cam intensity question

Old 05-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
I think nascar is limited to flat tappet camshaft that's why the will run around a 2.0 rocker ratio they can not get a lobe to do what they want in a flat tappet.
What kind of power you make now at what rpm CID?
This year they switched to roller cams for the big tracks and still flat tappet on the street courses. I was told when they made the change they had all kinds of trouble getting the valvetrain stabilized because the acceleration rate of the roller lifter is so much greater.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

You guys want to wrap your heads around something? Check out in-rad (inverse radius) cams, the lobe actually looks like a penut. Made AMAZING power, but at the sacrifice of valve train life.

Last edited by Precision; 05-30-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Registered

There are three different pneumatic/electro magnetic systems in development and testing. That will be the ticket for making an engine live with obscene ramp speeds and lift numbers. If they can make the systems last that is. Unfortunately, the millions that had been invested into these systems in years past had all been geared to high rpm longevity and not a life span with regard to hours or years of service.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Precision
You guys want to wrap your heads around something? Check out in-rad (inverse radius) cams, the lobe actually looks like a penut. Made AMAZING power, but at the sacrifice of valve train life.
There are a lot more out there in use than people would think. Including some that have them in their engine without even knowing. Many hot street cars even. If I'm not mistaken, even some HR's.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I know they have some inverse radius solid rollers , they make them in hydraulic now ?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:39 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I know they have some inverse radius solid rollers , they make them in hydraulic now ?
I believe so. So that's not 100%. I could swear I remember someone saying Jones (and some others) does some that way. Again, don't quote ,me.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:40 PM
SB
Registered

Oh, you can quote me that some diesels use IR. Obviously, those don't rev high.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Registered

No, only SR, and that technology is 20 years old. We were working with Crower in the development of those cams back when Menard was still running V6 Buicks at Indy.

But it seems like some people read a tech article about "new technology" and the real pros are the ones that have been helping develop and test it for the past 5 years.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are three different pneumatic/electro magnetic systems in development and testing. That will be the ticket for making an engine live with obscene ramp speeds and lift numbers. If they can make the systems last that is. Unfortunately, the millions that had been invested into these systems in years past had all been geared to high rpm longevity and not a life span with regard to hours or years of service.
yep...merc 377 scorpion motors run a can like this..easy on the valves,,sets them down nice and easy..
Old 05-30-2015, 09:07 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I believe so. So that's not 100%. I could swear I remember someone saying Jones (and some others) does some that way. Again, don't quote ,me.

No, only SR,

Did a quick search, and Here's an old thread with Harold Brookshire and Mike Jones responding to someone asking about IR cams.
Jones does mention use in HR's

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8711

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.