Bilge Pump Question >

Bilge Pump Question

Notices

Bilge Pump Question

Old 05-31-2015, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilge Pump Question

I just purchased a boat and when I hit the bilge pump switch and try to shut it back off the bilge stays on. I tried changing the switch and it still stays on. Yesterday I was on the lake and got stuck in the rain and the automatic bilge kicked on and when it had pumped all the water out the bilge continued to run. As with the switch the only way to shut the bulge off is by unhooking the batteries. Any ideas as to what is causing this issue?
Old 05-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sticky contacts in the pump itself. Tale it apart and clean everything you can to brighten up any electrical connections.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it run if you un hook the switch wires off? If yes bad float or electronic float switch in pump.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Your float switch is what's most likely causing it to stay on. Over time, the get all mucked up due to junk floating around the bilge. Get some good Bilge Cleaner and pour it into your bilge. Make sure there's some water in there or spray some in. Hot water is even better. Agitate it with a brush or the spray from a hose nozzle. Make sure to spray really well all around both the bilge pump and the float switch. When you're done, tilt the boat back and pull the drain plug to empty the bilge, then put the drain plug back in.

Now you can play with the float switch by seeing if lifting it up kicks the pump on and pushing it down shuts the pump off. If it stays on no matter what, it's time for a new float switch. BTW, remember to have the bilge pump switch on the dash in the "off" position while you're working with the float switch so it doesn't over-ride it.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Bilge pumps are realitively cheap yet can be vital components if that time really comes... If in doubt, buy new and replace, buy bigger than you think you will need and buy a good one, Even a monster rule with built in float switch is under 200 bucks.

I have the manual switch wired to the dash, the automatic is fused and wired straight to my deepcycle before the battery switch..