900sc - broken valve spring >

900sc - broken valve spring

Notices

900sc - broken valve spring

Old 09-11-2002, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which company makes a rev kit for the hydraulic roller?
Thanks
Old 09-11-2002, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rev kit

Comp Cams makes one for tall and short deck. I dont think there is one for the crane lifters because of the design of the body.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Jim. I'm using Crane. What is the reliability of the Comp Cams hydraulic-roller lifters? I have about 42 hours on my Cranes (fingers crossed)
Old 09-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Registered

Default lifters

So far no problems with the comp lifters. We are checking/changing them at 200hrs. I have run them up to 400hrs.

BTW I can get lifters but the supplier wont sell them without a cam purchase. Kind of a Bull s$%t deal. Also their more expensive.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KWB,
I've thought of switching from a solid roller to a Hydralic but don't want to lose any power.
So I've been doing allot of research and talked to allot of people and hydralic rollers are allot different than I thought.
I've talked to a pretty reputable company and they are making power up to 8000rpms with hydralics, and they are using spring pressures as high as the solid roller stuff. They assured me that they could make the same if not more power than my current solid.
Myself being the skeptic decided to stay with the solid roller for now, I did switch lifter manufactures though, from Comp Cams (broke 2 in 80 hours of use) to the Crower severe duty .
Your pretty lucky to get that many hours without breaking a lifter. Do you have rev kits on those motors ? I kind of believe that rev kits help the longevity of the lifter unfortunatley I have Gen6 blocks and they don't make a rev kit for them.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

26scarab--

What company did you talk to???
I am planing on going to hyd. roller cam this winter ( have solid flat tappet now)
Old 09-11-2002, 05:34 PM
Registered

I have had problems with all solid rollers including the comp cams. I puked one (comp) on my own motor after 10 hrs. Usually the exhaust lifter will go first. To use a mechanical roller spring on a hydraulic cam doesn't make sense to me. Its hard to believe the hydraulics will work with that kind of spring pressure (600lbs+) over the nose. Lifter bounce seems to be the biggest cause of failure with a M/R not to mention they are brutial on the rest of the valve train. To overcome this the cam needs more spring pressure to keep the lifter from leaving the lobe. The wear patterns on the worn lifters that I have inspected are not at the 6:00 position. The ramps are less agressive on the hyd. roller to keep it out of float and make the hydraulics work. The reason for using the hydraulic roller is they are more reliable. The spring pressures are less so the lifter doesn't see the load from the spring 380-400lbs and the shock load from lifter bounce. Another point, I have seen some H/Rs with cast cores. If you try to put a M/R lifter on these there is a greater chance of failure. I had to rebuild a motor for a guy because his engine builder put M/R lifters on a H/R cam. Every lobe was severly damaged. As always my opinion
Old 09-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Registered

Just a dumb question that maybe JimV or someone else with dyno experience can answer. Does a hydraulic roller or a solid lifter flat tappet cam have more HP potential? My Erson catalog lists some mean solid cams. Here is an example for BBC blower application. 254/264 @ .050 with .645" lift on a 114 LSA. RPM is 3500 to 7000 RPM and the cam says dual quads on 6-71 or larger blower with 8-15 lbs. of boost!!! That is a big cam, but if Jesels are used valve lash adjustments would be minimal and on a 572 with 8:1 comp with a chilled 10 lbs of boost through good heads with CMI's would make major HP. No rollers to break and reasonable spring life and RPM potential deep into the 6000+ range. What have some of your experiences been? I have seen solid flat cams at the drag strip, and they do pretty well. I haven't seen to many real race cars running hydraulic cams, flat or roller. Oh ya these cams and lifters are cheap. Maybe we are buying what the salesman makes more commissions on with the roller stuff???
Old 09-11-2002, 08:51 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

With a 900 sc, can you really keep the rpm in check with the blower spooled up and running hard?

I run a Big Chief head with long valves which can be a little hard on valve train.. I started out using a s/r with crowers's cutaway severe duty lifter and tool room springs at 250#. Cam was .714" Average life was about 50 hours at a cruise of 3500 rpm. Did this twice. Went to a crane h/r with .632" lift and 150# springs. Made about the same hp at 5500 as s/r cam, lost about 100 hp due to lower rpm. After 105 hours, almost all cruising I had one rough lifter in each motor. Went back to s/r, cut the cam back about .030 in lift, added a KE lifter spray bar in intake valley, used crowers same lifter but with the extra oiling hole to lube bearing axle and lowered springs to 210#. So far, I have 115 hours, check lash every 5 hours just to make sure nothing changes. So far so good. My thought is that if it works with this config should be even better with a lighter valve train??
Old 09-11-2002, 09:02 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

With a 900 sc, can you really keep the rpm in check with the blower spooled up and running hard?

I run a Big Chief head with long valves which can be a little hard on valve train.. I started out using a s/r with crowers's cutaway severe duty lifter and tool room springs at 250#. Cam was .714" Average life was about 50 hours at a cruise of 3500 rpm. Did this twice. Went to a crane h/r with .632" lift and 150# springs. Made about the same hp at 5500 as s/r cam, lost about 100 hp due to lower rpm. After 105 hours, almost all cruising I had one rough lifter in each motor. Went back to s/r, cut the cam back about .030 in lift, added a KE lifter spray bar in intake valley, used crowers same lifter but with the extra oiling hole to lube bearing axle and lowered springs to 210#. So far, I have 115 hours, check lash every 5 hours just to make sure nothing changes. So far so good. My thought is that if it works with this config should be even better with a lighter valve train??

Quick Reply: 900sc - broken valve spring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.