Sierra vs. Mercury / Quicksilver >

Sierra vs. Mercury / Quicksilver

Notices

Sierra vs. Mercury / Quicksilver

Old 06-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra vs. Mercury / Quicksilver

OK guys what's your opinion on Sierra products vs Mercury products? Oil, Lubes, gear oil impellers etc.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to hear more about this too. I have seen some say that the aftermarket impellers and pump housings are just as good (some have said that they are actually made at the same plant). I need to purchase a back-up pump housing and impeller to replace Merc one I borrowed from a buddy, and I think I am going to buy one of each and compare them. I'm also curious about the lower shift cables - I have read on here that the Teleflex Extreme series is actually more heavy duty than the OEM Merc units. I think BUP may be the guy you want to hear from regarding this, since he works with this stuff every day, but others should have some good input too.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:25 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I know the Sierra guys really well. On the motor oil end you could do better with VR 1 at the auto store, Driven, Redline, Amsoil. Their gear oil seems to do well and does well in Volvo's for a GL 5 spec. For stock black production engines their gear oil does well.

Their impellers some are the exact made as Merc but some are not. Sierra has so many impellers for a lot of models and makes. They buy from Johnson as well. I have no problems using their impellers and have no problems with their carb kits for stock OEM apps.

Some of the ignition components I do not like but will get by for the average rec boater. We actually at one time talked about doing some testing of their product offerings but it has not gone anywhere.

Some of their parts are the exact as the OEM's and some are not. Ignition side a lot are not the same as OEM. Their cables and steering cables are good because that is what they do best.

Last edited by BUP; 06-09-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Swapped a Sierra impeller and housing on a friend's boat some years back. The thing would not pump water what-so-ever. Tried everything; primed the pump with water, switched hoses (just in case), hooked it to a hose.... nothing. Went and purchased a Merc assembly and worked 100%. Rooted me off Sierra parts for good.

Last edited by Holy Smokes; 06-09-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

What about their limited lifetime warranty that replaces the part and all fees to replace the part? Is this legit?

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...d-drive-parts/
Old 06-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Holy Smokes
Swapped a Sierra impeller and housing on a friend's boat some years back. The thing would not pump water what-so-ever. Tried everything; primed the pump with water, switched hoses (just in case), hooked it to a hose.... nothing. Went and purchased a Merc assembly and worked 100%. Rooted me off Sierra parts for good.
I get what you are saying, however even Merc turns out the occasional bad part. In fact nobody in manufacturing is immune to this possibility, ISO facility or not. I like both, however Mercs pricing is absurd! I love seeing competition from Sierra, SEI etc. When merc charges $85 for a serpentine belt and you can get a dimensionally identical gates belt for $25, that's just stupid. No such thing as a "marine" serpentine belt last I checked. Healthy competition in the market is a good thing for the end consumer. I tend to agree with BUP.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 AM
BUP
Banned

A couple of years ago Merc had a 2 year run of bad impellers for the Gen VII water pump housings that caused a lot of issues including a no priming issues. I posted that the day it came out up here.

I have had bad water pressure sensors bad right out of the box thru Merc as well.

I have had a bad IAC right out of the box thru Merc. I have had bad / cracked exhaust manifolds (dry joint style ) right out of the box thru Merc,

I have had many really bad slag internally for the bravo black plastic impeller housings water input and output sections and some totally closed up thru Merc - all brand new out of the box.

I have had bad electric fuel pumps right out of the box thru Merc. .

New boats in 2010 with improper crimped shift cables thru Merc. that was a federal recall. I can keep going on but I think that's enough for now.

Its not just Merc - its everyone - quality control is not like it use to be plus it seems currently somethings are way over engineered that its set up could fail down the road as they have not been tested long enough in the field.

Last edited by BUP; 06-10-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:08 AM
BUP
Banned

And here is exactly what I am talking about for the Merc impellers. thousands of them for over a 2 year run. Not a perfect world for Merc as well nor anyone.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-heads-up.html
Old 06-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey BUP, I was going to try to throw some business your way, but your PM box is full! Can you clear it out?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Sorry for the ramble in post 7

Budman you can email me here put a tiltle on your email so I know who it is from. I will look for it. AND THANK YOU for sending biz my way.

[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.