only one company that makes headers ?? >

only one company that makes headers ??

Notices

only one company that makes headers ??

Old 06-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
a friend bought a set of those..took him 3 months to get them from over seas..then he had issues with one..i think they yook a year b4 he could use them..
Old 06-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the boat thing. But really what's the advantage to cooling your headers other then the engine bay stays cool ? My family has a few muscle cars. 500-750hp. And the header don't need to be cooled. So what's the catch ????
Old 06-14-2015, 04:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Bajadave04
I'm new to the boat thing. But really what's the advantage to cooling your headers other then the engine bay stays cool ? My family has a few muscle cars. 500-750hp. And the header don't need to be cooled. So what's the catch ????
Your car has a transmission, which allows the engine to operate at lower RPM.

Your boat is constantly operating at higher RPMs, thus creating a lot more heat.

Sometimes with open engine compartments, often seen in jet boats, you can run headers that are not cooled.

No way you can do this with the traditional engine compartment and engine hatch.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this sounds crazy. But. Is there not a power loss to doing this ? A 2 stroke for example makes more power with a hot pipe,rather then a cold. Just an example.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:36 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Also without cooled / water cooled exhaust systems in boats that have enclosed engine compartments , if the engine hatch and interior do not catch on FIRE FIRST - then 4 sure your fuel will boil off from the extreme heat inside the engine compartment - your engine could stall while running or after shut down the engine will never restart because the fuel boiled away from that extreme exhaust heat / heat soak.. Also your engine wiring harnesses will not live very long either inside a enclosed engine compartment with NON COOLED exhaust system nor will your exhaust hoses and exhaust bellows

Last edited by BUP; 06-14-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

The water adds some muffling qualities as well.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:18 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Catch fire you mean.

Listen, all cars guys that come over to boating get hung up on the exhaust thing 1st. Then the cam.

That includes most all of us.

The next new guy here is going to question the same things off the bat.

This same thread gets started many times a year.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coast guard regulations..need to be water cooled to keep from catching fire..some guys in the past dont listen and install turbos..