Extension box - external steering >

Extension box - external steering

Notices

Extension box - external steering

Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Extension box - external steering

I am installing an IMCO extension box and wonder if anyone has run the hydraulic steering hoses through the box instead of drilling holes back in the transom. I was thinking it would look a LOT cleaner with the hoses going to the box instead of the transom. That and the fewer holes in the transom the better. The only draw back I can think of would be if the long input shaft broke and tore a hose. ( loss of steering) what are the chances of this happening.?
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/a..._210852904.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Extension box - external steering-img_20150613_210852904.jpg  
Old 06-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Are the rams attaching to ears hanging off the box, or are they going back to the transom?

You've got all the real estate back there, I'd use it. You are going to work in 4 more hoses into the area around the transom assembly too, and that's going to crowd things in the engine compartment.

If your rams are going all the way back to the transom, I'd suggest fabbing up a small square with rounded corners stainless steel plate affixed to the transom, that the ram bolts to, AND the two fittings on each side go through the same plate to look like an "assembly" and you keep the transom clean around the whole plate.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the arms that bolt to the box for the hyd. rams. I just don't want to make any more holes in the transom than a have to. Also if I run the hoses to the box it will look neater and less of a hose mess on the transom. I am really trying to clean up the engine compartment.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a latham wing plate for the single merc brand extension box , has a pretty good offset to it if that will help you get it tucked in there let me know
Old 06-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

shroud the lines inside the box from the drive shaft, I agree cleaner install for sure