Trim pumps or drive indicators

Notices

Trim pumps or drive indicators

Old 09-11-2002, 07:28 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trim pumps or drive indicators

When I trim up 3-4 clicks on the drives my indicators show different readings. One is at 3 the other is at 4. If I repeat this process while not moving they both read the same. A friend indicated this maybe caused by one trim pump being weaker or going bad. They did not do that before and we now have 65 hours on them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rick
Old 09-11-2002, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I could help. Sounds like your boat is new. If one is going bad I have read several threads, and one just the other day, about trim tabs and pumps having problems.

Do a search for your subject and you will find the manufacturer's phone # and name of a guy to talk to. Typically, if its under warranty, he will send you new pumps, lines, or whatever you need and with free shipping too.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:19 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It can also be in the trim rams. They can get a little corroded at the scraper inside. Just a thought.

Jon
Old 09-11-2002, 03:06 PM
rv
Registered

Thanks for the response.
Yes it is new this year.

I don't think anything is corroded yet, fresh water and drystacked when not in use.

I was wondering if others have seen this with their twin setups and is this common.

Rick
Old 09-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, this is common. The tab indicator cables are driven by a spring loaded cable terminating in a sleeve on the drive. This is all clamped to the drive ram. The "ram" attached to the cable has no connection to the drive but follows it by spring tension only. sometimes the cable ram sticks and does not follow the drive all the way. Just because the indicator says the tabs don't match does NOT mean they are not at the same position as the other, so do not assume you have a trim/tab pump bad. No two pumps will operate at the same speed or volume.
There is a company that makes one (indicator ram cable assm)with a mechanical attachment to the Merc drive ram shaft and WILL indicate true trim position repeatedly. It has been seen on an Eliminator boat here & installed by Eliminator.....call them for the name of the manufacturer or email me and I will get the name & tel# for you off the unit . The warranty should cover you this time, but it will happen again next season....so just fix it right now. It is not expensive & you CAN do it yourself in an hour or so.
[email protected]
Old 09-12-2002, 07:23 AM
rv
Registered

Thanks Blown Formula,
When running the drives up/down on the rack in drystack they always seem to match. Even when I am sitting in the water not moving they match. However, while running is when I expierence this problem. I will check what you suggested with the indicator cable. I will run it, trim up a little until it reads off at the indicators then pull the boat without moving the drives and see if I can see the stuck cable at the ram. If the end of cable is tight against the ram I will check the drives to see if they really are at different settings. If so, it must be a pump. If not, I will get that new cable indicator system used on Eliminators.

Is it common for the pumps to pump at different rates so the drives are out of sync?

Rick
Old 09-12-2002, 08:52 AM
Registered

Yes, it is normal.....the difference may be small, but the pumps nor drive motors are calibrated to any standard......also outside forces can affect trim speed...viscosity of the oil, difference in oil temp, water pressure on the drives, etc. There should not however be a major variation.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:56 AM
rv
Registered

Do you think 1 click on the indicator is within the acceptable variation? One drive reads 3 the other reads 4.

Rick
Old 09-12-2002, 09:06 AM
Registered

Yes, I would. I have new cables and everythin was inspected as being correct...... still have as much as 1 variation.......
The problem is the plastic (?) rods that are to follow the drive are actually driven by a spring and corrosion, grease or any other crud can stop it from extending with the drive. With the new cable assembly, there is a mechanical attatchment and springs are not used!!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:48 AM
Registered

Ok her is the good stuff**

Trim Cable Activators
p/n C60120033
$150.64 ea. ( 2 req for twins)

Blue Water Performance
760-721-1951

We can get a 20% discount if we order 10 or more.

Anybody interested??? I will make a post regarding these if interest exists.

Quick Reply: Trim pumps or drive indicators

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.