Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Holley/Edelbrock/Clay Smith 6-valve rebuild kits still available? >

Holley/Edelbrock/Clay Smith 6-valve rebuild kits still available?

Notices

Holley/Edelbrock/Clay Smith 6-valve rebuild kits still available?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Holley/Edelbrock/Clay Smith 6-valve rebuild kits still available?

I tried out my old reliable Holley 6-valve mechanical fuel pump, and sadly, it is leaking fuel out the diaphragm. I have looked high and low for a rebuild kit for one of these things, and it appears that they are now unobtainium. You can't find the pumps anymore either. All you can find is the "new" Holley / Big End style pumps that do not have the billet actuating arm. I tried calling Clay Smith a couple of times and left voice mails for them, but never heard back.

So right now I am left with the prospect of trying to find another pump that will hopefully still work. I have a brand new Holley #510-12-454-11 that is rated for 110 GPH, but it is not the 6-valve design and does not look to be nearly as heavy duty as the "old school" ones. Will one of these support an engine that is making 550 - 575 HP?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-...aFUhoCeRPw_wcB
Old 06-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give baker engineering a call they make mechanical fuel pumps.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I wouldn't risk using that pump. Just my opinion. Edelbrock advertises their 110 pump will support 550 hp. Think I would just step up to a 130 at least.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke with Sherry at Clay Smith Engineering yesterday evening. She was very helpful. She said that Holley and Edelbrock had them set the 130 GPH pumps up with a lighter spring to keep users from having to use a regulator, but that they had reservations against this from concerns of customers burning down their motors. She recommended rebuilding the pump with their heavier spring and valves, which would result in a pump that can flow 130 GPH at 14 PSI. Of course this would require some type of regulator. They recommend a bypass over a dead-head regulator - she said the return could be plumbed back to the fuel/water separator if I did not want to run it all the way back to the tank. They have a bypass valve that uses a spring to set the bypass pressure - it comes with a 7 lb spring installed. Price seemed a little steep at $60, but I have not shopped them to compare.

So, at this point I am trying to decide if I can just go with a 6-valve pump with the standard spring and no regulator, or rebuild my pump and go with the higher pressure spring and a regulator. If I go this route, do I go with a dead-head regulator or a bypass with the check valve arrangement? Decisions, decisions...

FWIW, Sherry told me that Clay Smith will actually rebuilt the pump for the same price as buying the kit ($75) and doing it myself.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:40 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Want2gofast
Give baker engineering a call they make mechanical fuel pumps.
http://www.bakerengineeringinc.com/P...oCamParts.aspx
Old 06-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
I spoke with Sherry at Clay Smith Engineering yesterday evening. She was very helpful. She said that Holley and Edelbrock had them set the 130 GPH pumps up with a lighter spring to keep users from having to use a regulator, but that they had reservations against this from concerns of customers burning down their motors. She recommended rebuilding the pump with their heavier spring and valves, which would result in a pump that can flow 130 GPH at 14 PSI. Of course this would require some type of regulator. They recommend a bypass over a dead-head regulator - she said the return could be plumbed back to the fuel/water separator if I did not want to run it all the way back to the tank. They have a bypass valve that uses a spring to set the bypass pressure - it comes with a 7 lb spring installed. Price seemed a little steep at $60, but I have not shopped them to compare.

So, at this point I am trying to decide if I can just go with a 6-valve pump with the standard spring and no regulator, or rebuild my pump and go with the higher pressure spring and a regulator. If I go this route, do I go with a dead-head regulator or a bypass with the check valve arrangement? Decisions, decisions...

FWIW, Sherry told me that Clay Smith will actually rebuilt the pump for the same price as buying the kit ($75) and doing it myself.
The higher pressure pump with a return regulator is certainly a nice setup. However, I do not feel you need that. I have been running the low pressure self regulated pump, feeding two 850 carbs, at 800HP for years now. Same exact pump mercury marine used on the 800sc engine, and 900sc engine. I think it will be just fine on your 575HP single 4 barrel N/A engine.

You have addressed your pickup issue, just run a good sized line feeding the pump, and a fuel filter/separator capable of some flow. These pumps can move lots of fuel, but they wont if you cant get the fuel TO them.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II

That is an Enderle by-pass valve. They are a little cheaper from Enderle. However, when you buy them from Clay Smith the valve is shimmed for the pressure you want. If you buy from Enderle you have to shim it...