Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Why no intank fuel pumps? >

Why no intank fuel pumps?

Notices

Why no intank fuel pumps?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i think part of the reason it is not common is a lot of boats have limited access to the tank.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I brought this up last year, in a woe is me vst thread, and the answer was if there's a will, there's a way.
the biggest issue I see after changing a couple of in tank fuel pumps is that they are captivated in normal tanks.

Last edited by buck35; 06-30-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

another reason is because the hole that is required for the fuel pump(s) / module cell to be installed in the gas tank is huge. This causes some access and placement question marks for everyone.

All Indmar engines are in the gas tank installs currently. Also the builder has to go thru some Coast Guard approvals and a lot of paperwork. I was told in the past they call it a pass by the CG.

IMO another reason why marine apps are not doing this from of install but I think they should. Electric fuel pumps hate to pull fuel they like to push fuel. .

Last edited by BUP; 06-30-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

1) You would have way too many mounting and tank options as an OEM builder of this type of pump to work with offshore applications. (Think about tank depth and the angles of the bottom of the tanks, which varies tank to tank on the same boat.)

2) Have you looked at the hardware on the in-tank pumps we are reminiscing of on cars? How many chine landings off 3-5 footers do you think those suspended pumps on shish-kebab rods will take before they snap off and leave us stranded; or worse; create a catastrophic rupture & failure.

Mass produced wakeboard boats and the like?
Nice option and space savings.

Offshore boats?
No beuno and no thanks.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now that oem have gone to plastic in vehicle apps it happens to them too.i believe it is the cost shifting that gets you no return line but now you have plastic and a big "module" and a big hole in the tank to stick it through.
twin tank jet boat apps with a throttle body pump regulated back to a cool fuel style filter work great.
draws low current and cost effective .the carter high pressure pumps with a sock will go through a sterndrive sender hole. Now you have to run high pressure line out of the modded custom tank cap and it has to not leak or the fuel goes in the bildge and even with efi and a-z marine spec starters and such , they have gone kaboom
Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

But yea othersise easy peasy for baja , worlock essex ect to just get a rubber hose up to that seperator nipple . Be it a carb 4.3 or hp500 . And it get it done .